Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Viessmann Vitodens 200-W WB2B condensate seeping thru Flue Gas Gasket

tivo
tivo Member Posts: 16
edited February 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
Condensate is seeping thru between the vent pipe adapter and the flue gas gasket as pictured (right where the black and white meet). All the red arrows in the picture are pointing at the same location. I took apart the vent pipe adapter from above the boiler, found out that the adapter is simply sitting on top of the gasket with no dope or any kind of mechanical fastener. The gasket has no signs of wear either. Is it normal?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    haven't seen that, may be good to call Viessmann
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    The gasket pictured and the vent adapter gasket with test ports must be greased with the lube that comes with boiler at assembly. If the gasket(s) are impinged, the boiler will be at risk for condensate leakage, which can damage the inner cabinet. A combustion test will usually show that something's wrong, as the factory spec for proper combustion is way out of wack.
  • tivo
    edited February 2017
    Problem solved!

It happened that the section of the heat exchanger right where the flue gas gasket meets was clogged. By using the cleaning tool (part# 7840112), I shoved it in between the coil until I was able to touch the edge of the cleaning tool coming through the heat exchanger. Surprisingly, there is not much loose debris coming out of it. I guess the clogging in addition to the capillary action, condensate just seeped through the gasket.

By the way, I did try using an old credit card as recommended by someone in another thread but I had no success. A credit card happens to be thicker than the gap in between the coil.

Hope this helps others who encounter the same situation.

Thanks again for those who replied.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Nice, can you take a pic of the new tool?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • tivo
    edited February 2017
    I got the tool from my local supplier, a little shy of $40. The blade is quite thin. Using a caliper, it measures at 0.39mm vs. 0.78mm for a credit card, which is exactly doubled!
    GWRickBlackford
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    That's only about 10X what it should cost. Coud a hacksaw blade be used?
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • tivo
    I just measured a Lenox hacksaw blade, it's 0.77mm, just a little thinner than a credit card... I don't think it will fit, unfortunately.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    I read it to fast and glossed over the mm part. That 0.39mm is a little under 1/64". One thing that would work would be 1/64" FR4/G10 epoxy if you can find some. We used to use a fair amount of that at the plant and it leaves a nice rough edge when you shear it. If you know anyone that works in electronic manufacturing they might be able to turn you onto a source.

It can be cut with scissors but I'll warn you it will destroy the edge on them after a dozen feet of cutting. You can also fold it and it will snap.

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic?search=g10+.015

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • frankcompagnon
    frankcompagnon Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever figure out why the gasket was breaking loose. I have one that dose the same thing, the gasket is in good condition but in a couple of days it's completely out of the heat exchanger.Why ???