Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riello outdoor reset

metrosilo
metrosilo Member Posts: 33
Hey
i feel like this is an easy question but maybe not. One of buildings has  2 Riello/De Dietrich boilers. One is an RS 38 and the other is an RS 50. I want to install a Honeywell outdoor reset/staging control. 
I’m just wondering where I would disrupt the connection on the Riello. On other boilers you can interrupt one of the safeties, but I feel these burners are set up differently. 
Has anyone welder done this? If so, how did you connect your controller to the burner control?

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,829
    edited November 2022

Based on this diagram, and the photo of your diagram It appears to be only line voltage wiring available to break the circuit to the burner. T2 is connected together with a series of limit or manual devices to open the electrical circuit to the gas valve/control circuit. Your diagram indicates that the LWCO was added in series there. You need to break that circuit with the Honeywell staging/reset controller at that same location.

If the contacts in the Honeywell controller are not rated for line voltage, then you will need to add an isolation relay with a transformer to control voltage. The contacts of that relay will open/close the burner circuit to power the burner.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,829
    Without isolation relay

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • metrosilo
    metrosilo Member Posts: 33
    Ok. That’s what I figured I’d do but just needed to confirm. I just want to avoid having the power to the burner turn off and on completely in case of faults. 
    EdTheHeaterMan