Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Whistling / squealing noise

Options
gyrfalcon
gyrfalcon Member Posts: 162
This noise has been present since late last heating season if I remember correctly. It happens  when boiler is at max temp before aquastat cuts the gas to the burners.  A tick or drip sound is then heard (like an engine or exhaust cooling down ) when burners are off . I have no water dripping on floor .  Any crusty stuff built up on HX shown on previous posts has been brushed off and no other signs of leaks or other malfunction noted from contractor when he did combustion test.  Has anyone heard this type of noise?  I’m suspicious that it’s a leak which is vaporizing but no steam or condensation from vent pipe as I watch from outside. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/U89vg_t-fKM?feature=share  Link to squeal noise on YouTube 

Slant Fin Galaxy GG100(1986) , 2 zone hot water baseboard, T87 Honeywell thermostats. 

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,836
    Options
    I heard the faint whistle or air flow noise sometimes associated with the flame in some gas burners. A video of the actual flame would help. You might need to open the front access panel, then place your phone on the floor and point slightly up at an 80° angle (10° ABOVE HORIZONTAL) to see the flame. Depends on the burner access panel if it will be blocked or not.

But that noise does not seem to be out of the ordinary. But you would know if it different than before. You live with it. Has anything changed from the time before the whistling started? Was maintenance on the burners done? Was there a service call on the equipment? Was there any unrelated work completed near the heater, Cable wire, electrician, plumber, Windows and Siding? Aunt Helen's craft supplies are being stored in the basement since she was put in the Home? It is unbelievable what stupid things can cause a change in the way a heater operates.

Mr. Ed
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • gyrfalcon
    Options
    I’ll try to add another recording tomorrow. The noise is not there in beginning of the burn cycle, just towards the end.  No other changes have been made in the boiler room and no other stuff stored nearby.  Burner tubes are nice and clean. No adjustment that I know of to lp pressure or air / fuel mix. 
    Slant Fin Galaxy GG100(1986) , 2 zone hot water baseboard, T87 Honeywell thermostats. 
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,836
    Options
    I can't help it. Whenever a customer would call with this type problem, like "the heater is humming" I must reply with "it must have forgotten the words"

Your heater doesn't hum... It whistles. Try placing the sheet music on the floor near the boiler so the burner can see the words. This may stop the whistling.

You also mentioned the tic tic tic at the end after the burner stops. That is also normal. there may be a little condensation in the flue gas that drops on a hot surface and makes that tick tick sizzle sound, or it can be metal expansion and contracting as the flue gas temperature changes from flame to no flame.

Try the sheet music idea, It worked for one of my customers. I thinks she was a blond
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • gyrfalcon
    Options
    I’ll try that😃
  • gyrfalcon
    Options
    https://youtu.be/UP6QdlJkHaE
    Video of burner area.   Since yesterday I have not heard any more squeal or whistle noise. Maybe there was an air bubble trapped ??