Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pump sizing

Options
BMurrins
BMurrins Member Posts: 45
Hi all,

I’m trying to size a pump for a twin boiler setup. I’ve done the math and I need ~32 gpm at 16 ft of head. Currently we have 007s on the supply of each boiler but they’re undersized and we’re having trouble heating the apartments on the end of the loop. I’d like to do it right and pump away from the eliminator/expansion tank.

The 2400-45 looks good but taco doesn’t have 2 in flanges that fit the pump. Their largest flange goes to 1.5”. 

Would I be creating any issues using 1.5” flanges?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,142
    Options
    How did you come up with the pump size. It’s a big jump from an 007 to a 32 gpm pump

The B&G PL series has about that size
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,835
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Is this the same boiler room as the one we talked about before in "Confusing Setup" https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/189443/confusing-setup# ?
    If you are accurate in your GPM and pump head calculation, and the pump you selected is correct, and the largest flange available is only 1-1/2" then you can use reducing couplings, or a bushing on one side and a reducing coupling on the inlet of the pump, to get you there. Are you removing the twin 007 pumps in favor of a single larger pump?
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • BMurrins
    Options
    Hey Ed, no this is a different boiler room. Less confusing setup thankfully. Yes I’m removing the twins in favor of a larger one.

I sized it based off of the “zoning made easy” that you shared with me. 
  • BMurrins
    Options
    hot_rod said:
    How did you come up with the pump size. It’s a big jump from an 007 to a 32 gpm pump The B&G PL series has about that size
    Thanks for the recommendation! Hadn’t considered this. Going to look into it
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    The 1 1/2" flange will be fine. If the pump is selected correctly the flange size could well be smaller that the system it connects to. It's all figured into the pump head and flow rate and it will be fine
  • hot_rod
    edited November 2022
    Options
    How were the 007 overcoming that 16’ of head? The gpm doubles, but the head didn’t by going from two to one circ, unless the 007,s were in series somehow?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • BMurrins
    Options
    hot_rod said:
    How were the 007 overcoming that 16’ of head? The gpm doubles, but the head didn’t by going from two to one circ, unless the 007,s were in series somehow?
    That’s just the problem. They weren’t. The apartments on the end of the loop have trouble getting warm. 
  • hot_rod
    Options
    If you have the budget get an ECM style circ where you can dial in exactly what you need. If there are zone valves in the units you want a delta P style.

If you do have zone valves and switch to a fixed speed high head, you should add a pressure bypass or you will get some high velocity, possibly push open some zone valves. The 007s are flat curves circs, which work great with zone valves.

Notice the steep curves on those PL series They won’t play well with zone valves.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • BMurrins
    Options
    No zone valves on this system. 9 unit apartment building by the way.