Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help identifying prefab fireplace

Options
lkhelp
lkhelp Member Posts: 31
Hello,

Looking for help in identifying a prefab fireplace. The tag is on the right hand side wall just above the refractory panel. It’s too burned out and only the etched numbers survived:
4 92 (I’m assuming for April 1992)
AB233788

The refractory panels might need to be replaced or I’m considering getting a new, efficient fireplace and would really appreciate help finding out the manufacturer so I can get dimensions. 

Thank you!

Comments

• Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    It looks like an old Majestic. Regardless, you should get a level II inspection. I would not attempt to repair a 30 y/o fireplace. The refractory panels are no longer available and generic replacements are not suitable. This fireplace has aftermarket doors, which are a fire hazard unless you can prove they were tested and listed for use with this particular model fireplace. That stucco facing and hearth extension are highly suspect, too.
    lkhelp
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    Got a fireplace shop nearby? With the face dimension they would be able to get a close replacement. Maybe start with the online fireplace companies for ideas. I think a new, safe, efficient model, properly installed per code is the way to go.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    lkhelp
  • lkhelp
    Options

It looks like an old Majestic. Regardless, you should get a level II inspection.

You were right! Majestic MRC42.
    What's a level II inspection?

• lkhelp
    Options
    hot_rod said:

Got a fireplace shop nearby? With the face dimension they would be able to get a close replacement. Maybe start with the online fireplace companies for ideas. I think a new, safe, efficient model, properly installed per code is the way to go.

Is it possible to get a "close replacement" without completely rebuilding the framing? I talked to a couple contractors and they're both saying complete demo and new frame need to be built, which is very expensive. Went to 4 fireplace shops - they don't do replacements. Basically, gave me numbers of carpenters who could do demo and new frame.
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    Ask your local chimney sweep to perform the level II per NFPA 211: https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/all-codes-and-standards/list-of-codes-and-standards/detail?code=211
    Next, ask him if he does prefab swap outs and if so, does he have access to Ventis all stainless steel replacement fireplaces. They are designed to slide into common framing dimensions without a lot of reframing or replacing the noncombustible facing.
    HTH
    lkhelp