Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burner not active on new install Veissmann 100w

noxy
noxy Member Posts: 7
Hit water working fine but burner not active on app and heat hasn't turned on since boiler was put in on Sat. Plumber back tomorrow but wanted to work it out

Comments

• GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,022
    edited November 2022
    Some things to check.

Is there a call for heat to the boiler? For example if a thermostat turns the boiler on and off, is the thermostat calling for heat? this can be tested with a jumper at the thermostat terminals on the boiler,

Some Viessmann boilers run entirely on the outdoor temperature, bad programming could affect the boilers operation, but a bad outdoor sensor would give you an error, and force the boiler to run as though it were freezing ( zero celsius 32 f)

If I were the contractor I would set the heating curve higher than needed, and install a jumper on the thermostat terminals at the boiler. Does the boiler fire? if not then I would go into service mode and run the flue test, this will run the boiler up to limit. Does the boiler fire in test mode?

In my opinion if the boiler does not run with an installed jumper, and a reset curve that will definitely cause the boiler to fire, but does run in test mode, I would replace the board where the thermostat terminals are located in the boiler. IF you have the model I might be able to send a picture of the part in question. I have seen one of these boards faulty from the factory on the new boilers but in my opinion Viessmann has a very low failure rate for all parts
    noxy
  • GGross
    also 112 burner starts for 1 hour running indicates an issue that is not control related and you should get a service person out to check it
    HVACNUT
  • noxy
    Could it be related to not commissioning it properly. I found an app that allows an installer commission it but my plumber did by pressing all the buttons on the touchscreen. Not sure he did it right
  • GGross
    @noxy

It is very unlikely that this was caused by improper commissioning. But if the heating curve were set too low the boiler may not fire as it could be already up to its target temp. The commissioning app is a different way to program the unit, not better exactly but it does have some advantages mostly for the installing company such as emailing the commissioning report to the home office, commissioning from a more comfortable location etc. I always program the new ones through the buttons on the boiler and they function just fine. Do you know what model the boiler is? it should say somewhere in the app you pulled diagnostics from
  • GGross
    looks like your pressure is a bit under as well? just very slightly so when the plumber comes over ask him to fill it a bit so its over 1 bar. That should not be your problem however, because if the system were not flowing you would not have hot water either
  • noxy
    Thanks so much for your kind help!
    It's a vitodens 100w b1kf 30w boiler.

• GGross
    @noxy

Very slightly different than the models here in the states. with your boiler reading an internal temp of 68.f C (155 F) it is possible that the boiler temp is satisfied. If you go into the menu there should be something called "heating curve" if you are feeling adventurous look for that setting in the menu. Remember where it is set at or take a picture of it so you don't forget. Now turn up the curve, this will raise the boilers target temp at a given outdoor temperature. just make sure the boiler is targeting a temperature higher than the boiler is at currently, and it should fire. I am not sure if the models in the UK depend on a thermostat or not, over here Viessmann was changing things around from the European models a bit and now all the new ones use a thermostat for a call for heat

The heating curve adjustment I believe can also be done through the homeowner app but I have limited experience with the app, it is pretty cool from what I have seen though
  • noxy
    Yea this is where it is supposed to be but not there and can't even access the start heating assistant menu 

• GGross
    @noxy

The heating curve adjustment should be on the boiler control itself though if you want to try to get at it. If it is not too cold however you might just wait until the plumber comes to check it out.

It's funny how different the book is presented in the UK compared to US, the boilers are very similar and the language is the same but so much is different in each manual haha, I attached the section of the user manual that shows where to access the heating curve options

noxy
  • noxy
    Still in same situation. Plumber came this morning and got it working but now its gone off. He said he pressed a load of buttons on the boiler and it worked 😔

No access to that p3 menu on my system. Really feels like he didn't commission properly 
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    Add water to boiler until the pressure is above 1 bar. Looks like your down due too low water pressure.

(i'll admit i didn't read everybody's post, just the pics of the controls)
    GGross
  • GGross
    yes @pedmec is correct. Your pressure has dropped significantly since the original picture of your control. The boiler is flow dependent, there is a flow switch inside and if it does not sense flow it will not fire. It is possible you have a leak. The plumber should have checked that fill level as well, I believe it is fairly common practice in the UK to have a manual filling valve under the boiler. You should call the plumber back I imagine it is getting a bit cold over there
  • GGross
    @noxy
    see previous comment as well
    According to your control it says there is no heat demand currently? and that it is 82 outside? something is not right here
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    Is it on warm weather shutdown because of the outdoor temp?
  • noxy
    I repressurised with advice from plumber. It's at 1.2 now but not starting. Hot water fine. Not sure how it would be on warm weather shutdown as its 6 degrees out now. Where could I change that. 
  • GGross
    edited November 2022
    @noxy

Somewhere on the front of the boiler it should read out what the boiler thinks the outside temp is. Your control screenshot is saying there is no heat demand. That would mean that nothing is telling the boiler to fire. Do you have thermostats in your house? Possible that there is an issue with the wiring. The plumber can set the boiler back to factory settings and re-commission the boiler, make sure the heating curve is correct (slope), set the level to zero

You should be able to put a jumper in the 2 wire thermostat terminal on the boiler, that should give it a call for heat and the boiler should fire. If that does not work, but it still fires for domestic then there must be a faulty board where the thermostat wires into.
  • noxy
    Think it's sorted. He hadn't added a controller. Now have an eph clock downstairs hardwired in to the boiler. Have an existing tado system which I want to replace it actually.

But for now. The vicare app that veissmann uses seems to only show water temperature in the app not room temperatures that I want to achieve. Presume that won't change until I get room thermostats? 
  • GGross
    @noxy

I am not sure what the app displays with the current controls, but I know on our current vito 100 boilers in the states it does not display the room temp setpoint. It used to be the app just let you see what the boiler displayed. We could not control the Viessmann room controllers from it. It has all changed recently, and I know the European market has had different apps/controls from Viessmann for quite some time. I would advise contacting Viessmann locally to see if there is a control that will give you actual room temperatures, if there is not, perhaps a wifi thermostat of any variety that you could connect to?