Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need Help Purging Air from Hydronic Oil Heating System

Options

I'm changing a section of baseboard in a bathroom in my house. I will need to bleed the air out of the system after installing the new section and have a beginner understanding of the procedure.

My first issue is that I can't find the shutoff to close before draining the loop. I'm enclosing a photo of a drain valve on one of the upstairs loops. It seems to have what might be a small shutoff valve right next to the drain valve, but I was thinking the shutoff should be more substantial than this one.

Can you confirm if it is the shutoff or is it a balancing device or something else?

Sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology or if I'm way off base in my thinking.

I've also identified 2 loops for my upstairs where the bathroom is. I'm assuming that I should bleed both of these loops, but could use some advice.

If this isn't the shutoff, I can send other photos, as needed, to help me find it.

Help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    Looks like a butterfly type shut off and purge cock. Does it move about 1/4 turn?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 973
    Options
    when i got in the trade we called it a balance and purge valve. good luck turning that closed. its looks like you might get lucky as the stem looks thicker than the ones i have dealt with and the whole valve looks cleaner. The ones around my location always had like a pin for a stem and use to snap when trying to close.
  • Straightahead
    Straightahead Member Posts: 2
    Options
    So, if there are two upstairs loops, do i need to purge them both? FYI, they are using the same zone valve if that makes a difference.

Thanks
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    the highest zones, loops, piping are typically where air ends up. Do every piece of piping needs to be purged.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream