Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil McLain boiler

Options
TinoLopane
TinoLopane Member Posts: 2
edited October 2022 in Gas Heating
For the past month, I’ve noticed no hot water every so often. The pilot on the boiler remains lit, but won’t fire. I shut off the main power switch, and turn back on..boom- fires right up and works fine. At first, it lasted two weeks.  Now happening more often, like every two days.  The vent damper opens, so I don’t think it’s a gas build up safety.  What else should I look for?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    Check all the wiring connections. It doesn't take much corrosion to stop 24 volts. Also, it could be the damper end switch. Best to get a tech with a test meter to find the problem
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,833
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Tino, I am wondering what Weil McLain boiler you Might have? They have been in business since 1881. I'm thinking you have something that was built a few years after that. A model number and series might help determine what control system might be on that boiler of yours. Perhaps a photo of the boiler model number plate or sticker.

Does your boiler burn Coal, Oil or Gas? The older ones made before 1929 were mostly coal burning models, If it is newer than that, then a fuel other than coal may be involved. Some of the larger oil burning boilers have a gas pilot to to light the oil flame, but that is probably not what you have.

I'm guessing your boilers uses Natural Gas or Propane, and was built sometime after 1980. But That is only a guess. That would narrow it down to about 85 different boiler models and series. I hope you can narrow it down to a particular model number if you really want an answer to your query.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    JakeCK
  • TinoLopane
    TinoLopane Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Ed,
    I catch your  drift. Obviously a newbie here.  Weil McClain Gold CGa, Natural gas furnace. Install approx 1999.  Appreciate any insight

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    A relay with bad contacts might be the problem. If the contacts have any corrosion on them, then just by turning it on and off can cause them to snap back closed and make contact and work again. Possibly the same issue with the vent damper.
    You can check the contacts the next time it goes out by using a meter to see if they are closed or not. Just do it before you recycle the power switch.
    Rick
    TinoLopaneMikeAmann