Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Clicking Noise above boiler pump

boilernoob
boilernoob Member Posts: 5
edited October 2022 in Radiant Heating
Hi everyone, firstly I am new to hydronic heating and plumbing in general so please be patient. Also I hope I am putting this in the right place. Thanks.

I am getting an intermittent clicking/rattling noise from a brass fitting I am assuming is some kind of check above the circulation pump. Its new and fairly loud noise. My best guess it is this brass piece from doing the old wood stick hearing aid, the noise is much louder in the area above the pump. I would like to know what is going on and if there any actions that I need to take before it gets too cold. I have attached a photo with an arrow pointing to the suspect fitting. I cant really get any info off it except wog300 1-1/4. Also there is no noise when the hot water tank is on and the circulation pump is off. Also the entire system was just replaced and re-piped about 18 months ago. Thanks for any and all your time. - J
Edit - added pics

Comments

• boilernoob
    Forgot the photo
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited October 2022
    That appears to be a check valve. That is not the type of check valve we usually use for Hydronic heating systems. They can be noisy. You might want to see if you can use one of these:
    There is no spring involved on these devices, so less noise. However they must be installed on the horizontal so gravity can operate the weighted check valve.

On page 8 of this book https://www.xylem.com/siteassets/brand/bell-amp-gossett/resources/technical-brochure/fh-z100b-bg-zoning-made-easy-2.pdf you will find an explanation of the purpose of these valves and how they operate.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • boilernoob
    Thanks for the reply Ed. Is the noise an indicator of failure and future problems or just an annoyance? The book you linked says that this valve helps with "velocity noise" would the failure or ineptitude of this valve be responsible for the gurgle I get when the system first comes on? I would have to have a service company come out to do any changes to the piping at this point. Thanks
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited October 2022
    Not an indication of failure. just an annoying noise. Gurgle noise is a result of air in the system. A properly designed system will eliminate air over time. A poorly designed system may allow air infiltration over time. You will find out if your system is well designed or not, over time, if the gurgling diminishes or increases. Look at page 9 of that book: Zoning with Circulators "First a word about Pumping Away". That will show you the well designed system order of components. If they are not in that order, or you are missing some components, then you may have a poor design.

There is more than one "correct" way to do that job. That is why I used MAY have a poor design. You may also have a great design that is different from the design on Page 9 and illustrated at the bottom of page 11.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,689
    can we see a more distant photo showing a bit more of all you have going on there?
    what do you have for air elimination?
    and what pressure do you see on the boiler ?
    known to beat dead horses
  • boilernoob
    Unfortunately I feel I have spent enough time to determine if the system was well designed or not and am learning to live with it. I appreciate you taking time to answer my questions and will keep an eye on it. Thanks again - J
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • neilc
    air and pressure can be very inter related, and an easy solve, and a source of a rattling ball checkvalve
  • boilernoob
    I believe you Neil but unfortunately boiler systems are fairly uncommon in our area. Our first winter after replacing the 20 year old munchkin was one spent with an undersized expansion tank, multiple leaks and an uncalibrated gas valve. Im learning more about my system everyday. Whether I want to or not.
  • neilc
    it's just a picture,
    someone will see something