Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

MegaPress system.....

Cdav
Cdav Member Posts: 15
has anyone used the propress or megapress fittings on a steam boiler? I had a contractor replace a boiler for me about 8 years ago and the boiler has failed. He used copper on the raiser and return and I suspect that that caused the boiler to fail. Now I'll insisting on black pipe and the new contractor said the job would go faster if he uses propress or megapress fittings because treading takes a long time. Has anyone sued these fittings before? It says it's rated for "low pressure" steam - up to 15 psi.

Comments

• pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    Tell him to beat it if he doesn't want to thread pipe. And yes i have used megapress and propress (I use propress everyday).

NO COPPER ON STEAM.

NO TO MEGAPRESS

The only reason why i say no to megapress is that its hard to control any dips when pressing. Its so critical to not have low points in your horizontal piping. When you press megapress it sometimes will have a slight back pitch or go crooked on you. It does that because of the throat on the jaws close first so you go to be on your toes. I do use it for repairs. I guess time will tell how it holds up against the steam. I'm still threading everything up to 4".
    CdavWMno57
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    I agree. I would only use press fittings if it was a temp job on steam
    Cdav
  • Cdav
    Cdav Member Posts: 15
    Thank you very much guys. I told the contractor no fittings just trade the pipes. He was pushing the megapress.
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,250
    pedmec said:

threading everything up to 4".

Which threader do you use for 2.5" to 4"? How do you like it?
    I DIY.
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    RIDGID 141. I put it directly into the 300. I Just put new dies in it. Nice clean threads. I actually cut my next piece when i am reversing it instead of wasting that time. I put a long nipple on the opposite end of the pipe cutter with a tee with branches to act as a leg. When i back the head out its cutting my next nipple.
    WMno57