Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco Pressure Reducing Valve

Options
10brien01
10brien01 Member Posts: 5
Hi question. I have hot water in my cold water taps and outside spigots. Now I traced my cold water from coming inside to my oils burner and branch off to the rest of the house. It starts getting warm half way through. At the branch to the house it’s hot. As to comes to the oil burner it gets warm to the taco valve the cool at eye valve and down to feed the burner. I drew on a pic so guys get see the hot and cold. Thank you

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    There should be a backflow device at that Taco valve

Try turning off that blue handle valve, see if it corrects the hot problem

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • 10brien01
    Options
    Do I turn off for a while or just a few min.
  • 10brien01
    Options
    And look at the taco valve. 3 years ago we had a dude come to fix something on the burner and he said of the valve is bad to. Abut I have one in the truck ( red flag). Look at the pic looks like it’s painted. He maybe swapped out the tag and painted it. I don’t know
  • 10brien01
    Options

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,833
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Here are pictures of this same valve, brand new, from 2 different suppliers. It appears that Taco paints these valves after the tag is already in place. To keep the paint from covering the information on the tag, the factory must use a piece of masking tape. See the top of the tag on both pictures has green paint on the top of the tag... same as yours.
    . That green paint chipped away at the top of your valve may have happened after it was installed on your home within the past 3 years.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,833
    Options
    10brien01 said:
    It's from July of 2019.
    Do you have single lever faucets?
  • 10brien01
    Options
    I have single and double faucets. The cold water line is hot. Can that taco valve cause a mix of hot and cold?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,833
    Options
    10brien01 said:
    I have single and double faucets. The cold water line is hot. Can that taco valve cause a mix of hot and cold?
    No. I've never seen a PRV cause hot water from the cold side.
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    I hate to guess this, but,
    isn't that the hot boiler water expanding back into the domestic?
    turn off the manual feed until you get a proper backcheck on that line,
    known to beat dead horses
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 973
    Options
    i'm leaning more toward the fact that its coming from the tankless coil. There is no heat trap loop on the cold water inlet to the coil. the cold water, along with the hot water, should have went down toward the floor at least 12" and then a mixing valve installed. Then it can start heading up.