Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Welp, ye olde oil tank has started to leak ...

Options
In_New_England
In_New_England Member Posts: 130
edited October 2022 in Oil Heating
I don't blame the tank - it's older than I am, likely the original one from the house, installed in 196x. It's served it's country well and it was time for it to go.

What annoys me is that my local gas utility and my city have been collectively dragging their feet since April, when I decided to do a gas conversion and still haven't gotten things together to draw a gas line.

I'm now gonna have to install a new tank and go round phoning various people telling them I can't do the gas conversion (ever, probably) because it no longer makes budgetary sense, and a new oil tank removes my fears of an oil leak (which have come true, but I wasn't away on vacation when it happened).

I had some questions about Roth oil tanks, Tiger loops and overhead lines vs ground lines which were all answered by existing discussions here, so this was, literally, just a rambling rant and a note of appreciation for the existing discussions on the topic.

For those wanting to know, I will be getting a Roth oil tank, with an overhead line + a tiger loop. I'm guessing from the discussions that a deaerator isn't needed if the lines are drawn properly, but I might just listen to the installer, who is reputable.

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    It is possible that you could make putting in a gas power burner and feed it with propane until the utility gets around to adding a gas service, especially if you rent the tank from the propane supplier.
    In_New_Englandgmcinnes
  • In_New_England
    Options
    That's an interesting idea, thanks. I didn't know a gas burner could also use propane. I was originally thinking of getting a Lochinvar Noble, and those have separate models for NG and Propane. Are you suggesting replacing the oil gun with a gas gun and saying that gas guns can run on either NG or Propane?
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    Yes. I'll let the pros chime in but i'm pretty sure gas power burners can be converted between ng and propane.

The mod con you would have to look in the manual to see if it is convertible.
    In_New_England
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,833
    Options
    @mattmia2 is correct. and there are many ModCon boilers that can be easily be converted to LP gas. Most of them are sold as Natural gas units and field converted at installation time. Just remember to save the Natural gas orifices and other parts.

I cant remember if Crown boiler (now called Velocity Boiler Works) had one that the LP to natural gas was just a pressure adjustment with a combustion analyzer. No parts needed.

Look at you Lochinvar to see if they are interchangeable.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    In_New_England
  • Jersey2
    Jersey2 Member Posts: 166
    Options
    I'm not a plumber or hvac man and my thoughts in comments are purely for conversation.
  • Jersey2
    Jersey2 Member Posts: 166
    Options
    Pros and cons of a Roth tank
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=fdetU6UYiyY
    I'm not a plumber or hvac man and my thoughts in comments are purely for conversation.
  • In_New_England
    Options
    Jersey2 said:

Pros and cons of a Roth tank
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=fdetU6UYiyY

TS;DTW; (Too scary; didn't dare to watch): The Roth tank has a nylon bushing that can come loose with time, which is ... questionable. Installed outside, it is finicky because it is so light.

The rest of the video is every homeowner's nightmare - an underground oil tank. Fortunately the EPA did not have to be called, and the mini-split compressor was fine too.
  • In_New_England
    Options
    Jersey2 said:
    Sadly, I have no generator - so if the electric goes out, my oil boiler does too.
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 973
    Options
    Lochinvar conversion from natural gas to propane require just changing the venturi at the air intake. Fairly simple conversion.
    mattmia2In_New_England
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    The only con I have on a Roth type tank is that it breeds sludge with it's top feed design ......
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    @In_New_England

How bad is the tank leaking? They usually seep and seldom just let go. There are several types of patches available.

If you don't have a gas line yet it's getting late. The gas utilities usually stop underground work around Thanksgiving you will have to make a decision
    In_New_England
  • gmcinnes
    gmcinnes Member Posts: 118
    Options
    There are non-break-the-bank ways to keep the boiler running, and prevent pipes freezing, in winter blackouts.

There is a simple interlock kit that lets you backfeed the house from a cheap ($150) portable generator without endangering the house or any linemen. It installs at the panel and prevents you from turning on the main breaker if the breaker you nominate as the backfeed is turned on.

You can even buy a generic inverter for your car and backfeed the power supply from there.

Wont run your stove, but it'll keep your pipes from freezing.
  • In_New_England
    Options

@In_New_England

How bad is the tank leaking? They usually seep and seldom just let go. There are several types of patches available.

If you don't have a gas line yet it's getting late. The gas utilities usually stop underground work around Thanksgiving you will have to make a decision

Thanks for the note. It's not that bad ATM. A few drops a day, and I'm collecting it in a shallow pan and its evaporating almost as fast as it is dripping, so not alarmed yet.

I did take the decision to replace the tank (getting a Roth one) because I have no faith in Nat Grid and my City anymore. Who knows: it might be a hidden city policy to silently turn away new gas connections/make them hard to get. That would make me pretty angry - the city refused to talk to me about the matter. The whole matter has been stagnating for over six months now.

My upgrade plan is to skip gas and go to heat pumps directly. Still researching that. The oil boiler is a 10yo Weil McLain and should have about a decade left in it to give me time. I just don't fancy those heating bills.