Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bleeding Baseboard Heating Zones

Options
Hi guys I’m at my mothers and am trying to figure out how to bleed one of the zones. I got heat in 2 of the 3 zones and there are no bleeders on the radiators. I’ve attached some pictures of the boiler for reference. This particular setup doesn’t have a drain valve on the return side of the loops. There is only the valve atop the boiler which is pictured. I’ve done this at my house plenty of times but it’s a different setup. Anyone can help me out? Thanks 

Comments

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    edited October 2022
    Options
    there are no drains or valves on the returns ?

I don't see easy there,

try closing the zones that are heating, and let the cold zone flow,
    that air vent is open, correct?
    and what pressure are you running at?
    enough to fill to the highest spot without the circ ?

hopefully with full flow to the cold zone you'll vent the air up there back down to the separator and vent.
    known to beat dead horses
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Turn the boiler power off.

Close the valve on the two zones that are air free, the valves that are above the green pumps and flow checks.

Then close the large ball valve above and left of the expansion tank.
    Attach a short hose to that boiler drain with the yellow wheel handle, that is where you purge until the loop is bubble free. Put the end of that purge hose in a bucket to better see small air coming out.

The brown valve to the right of thew expansion tank is the fill valve, it can be put in fast fill mode to speed up the purge. Download the instructions for that valve for the procedure.

I'd be tempted to close all the valves and remove the top of that silver air vent to see if it is clear and able to vent properly. Or have a replacement on hand.
    That needs to take over after you purge to get air that will come out of solution when you fire and heat the water.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    MikeAmann
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    there it is,
    Hot Rod sees the valve I didn't,
    follow his instruction, not mine.
    known to beat dead horses
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,858
    edited October 2022
    Options

1. Close the valves by A, B, C, D, and E
    2. Open the fast fill on valve F
    3. Place a garden hose on G and
    4. Open G.

this will Fill the expansion tank with house water pressure.

5. Once the pressure has filled the expansion tank, open valve B
    6. That will force water thru the radiators and into the boiler, forcing the air to the return and into the boiler and out the garden hose attached to G
    7. Close B and allow the pressure to fill the expansion tank.
    8. Once the pressure has filled the expansion tank, open valve C
    9. That will force water thru the radiators and into the boiler, forcing the air to the return and into the boiler and out the garden hose attached to G
    10. Close C and allow the pressure to fill the expansion tank.
    11. Once the pressure has filled the expansion tank, open valve D
    12. That will force water thru the radiators and into the boiler, forcing the air to the return and into the boiler and out the garden hose attached to G
    13. Close D and allow the pressure to fill the expansion tank.
    14. Once the pressure has filled the expansion tank, open valve E
    15. That will force water thru the radiators and into the boiler, forcing the air to the return and into the boiler and out the garden hose attached to G
    16. Close the fast fill F from manual to automatic and close E and close G at the same time. (or as quickly as you can in that order F, E, G).
    17. Once the boiler pressure has stabilized to the normal cold pressure (about 12 PSI then open A, B, C, D, and E before you put the boiler back in service.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

MikeAmann
  • pmarinello489
    pmarinello489 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks guys appreciate it. I will perform the procedure tonight shouldn’t be an issue.