Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Furnace Runs For 15min then shutdowns

Symetica
Symetica Member Posts: 6
It will run for 15min then it will shutdown and I'll have to press the button to get it back on the vents get warm I'm new to this forget to check for smoke. Any help would be appreciated  thank you

Comments

• Symetica

• Symetica
    It looks like that part is leaking there is no oil accumulation underneath it tho
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,249
    No service since 2017? Duct tape should not be used on the exhaust flu. Oil burning furnaces should have annual maintenance. Do you still buy your heating oil from banner?
    I DIY.
  • Symetica
    That's a metal tape it looks like I just moved in here I guess the landlord had someone look at it and fixed it when she bought it back in 2017 2018 no record of that I'm trying to figure out where the flame rod sensor is at is it attached to the yellow cord? And Also wondering about that drip of oil under the pump
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    Needs maintenance. The oil filter is most likely clogged. But that furnace is very old and is probably ready to have a younger generation take over the reigns. Oil furnaces last about 17 to 25 years on average. I'm thinking that one is over 50. In that case you owe that furnace at least 25 years of vacation, overtime, and retirement benefits. How do you plan on paying for that?
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Symetica
    Not my house the landlords and I'm sure with a little tlc we can get it up and running I'll have hvac check it out and see what they say
  • Symetica
    Can I have a heat pump furnace installed next to it
  • WMno57
    edited October 2022
    Ok, didn't realize you were the tenant. If I were in your shoes I would replace the flue, or move out. I just replaced the flue on a 24 YO gas water heater. From the outside it looked fine, much better than yours. Got it apart and rust holes everywhere. No tape of any kind, metal or otherwise on a flue. Someone in the recent past added that tape as a hack fix. They didn't tape that to practice their taping skills, they did it to hack fix a problem. The problem is still there under the tape.
    Buy your own CO detectors. You can take them with you when you move.
    I DIY.
  • WMno57
    Symetica said:

Can I have a heat pump furnace installed next to it

Since your landlord doesn't seem to believe in maintenance that might be a great idea. You could save the planet and future tenants lives at the same time. If that furnace is 50 years old, it might not be worth saving. The heat pump alone would be ok.
    I DIY.