Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus boiler issue

jeff3176
jeff3176 Member Posts: 9
edited October 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
Hello all!
I had a technician out yesterday for my yearly funace inspection. He stuck his CO/efficiency monotor in the exhaust pipe and the efficiency was 87%, the CO PPM was at 1400. What should the PPM reading for CO read? They want to clean my heat exchanger for $$$. Is this the answer to high CO?
All help is appreciated!

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,829
    edited October 2022
    Sounds like there is a revenue generating incentive program at that company. PPM is high, I like it to be below 100PPM

What model Buderus boiler?

Oil or Gas?

Do you know what all the different readings were? Efficiency = (87%), O2 = ?, CO2 = ?, CO =(1400 PPM) Draft = ?, Smoke = ?, Temperature = ?, excess air = ?.

Did they offer a photograph of the dirt on the heat exchanger that will cost $500 to remove?

When I was taught to do PM Service on an oil boiler, the Vacuum cleaning was included. If this is a Gas Boiler, then the fact that there is any carbon buildup is cause for concern. If it is the condensing gas boiler, then that means that they might not actually know what is involved, and are covering their cost of learning how to do it.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    GGrossMikeAmann
  • jeff3176
    I didn’t see any of the other info. on the meter, just the efficiency and CO. The boiler is LP. The model # is G124X-25/4 DP and is approximately 25 years old. 
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 973
    1) First lose that companies number

2) Shut that boiler off. That boiler has no right to be running. That boiler cannot be running with over 400 ppm of co per asme code. And any tech will tell you 400 is high. No manufacturer that i know has designed CO in the flue for over 200 ppm in the flue. Birds don't tell you they are gonna die and fall down your chimney and block it off.

*they sit on top of your warm chimney then the CO kills them.

3) call another company.

4) make sure you have WORKING carbon monoxide detectors around your boiler room and elsewhere.

GGross
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited October 2022
    G124x series boilers are cast iron and can last more than 40 years. Proper maintenance is important. That is an atmospheric burner system that most likely made carbon because of insufficient combustion air to the burners. You need someone to go in there and look at the heat exchanger, and inspect the burners. An independent oil heat service technician will have the vacuum cleaner and brushes to get that soot out of that hear exchanger. If you can find an oil dealer that has a good HVAC department that also installs and services gas heaters and air conditioners, they will have the tools to clean that boiler.

Where are you located?
    Have you looked in the "Find A Contractor" link above?

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • jeff3176
    I’m in Hutchinson Minnesota. I would like to rent my own meter and test again. The tech that came out had a couple of years experience. I felt uneasy about it right away. I’m no hvac tech, but I didn’t think he did much for $90. 
  • jeff3176
    No one listed in the link. 
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited October 2022
    Scroll up to the top of the page.

Hutchinson Minnesota. Probably no one out there on this page
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Hutchinson Minnesota, probably no one out there on this site.

Who delivers fuel oil in your area? Check to see if they also service gas heat. The other source might be you LP Gas supplier.
    GGross