Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

random pilot outage on new bradford white heater

zepfan
zepfan Member Posts: 397
we installed a Bradford white natural gas water heater model # RG250T6N in July. The pilot went out the first week of September. The pilot was re lit and thermopile tested. It read over 600 mv. The heater stayed online until it went out again today. The pilot was re lit and the heater is back online. The heater is vented into b vent and the cap is in place on the roof, so there is no way a downdraft could have blown the pilot out. The water heater is located in a large room that also houses the furnace, washer and dryer. The furnace is a 90% model that uses outside air to burn, so I do not think that there is any way that the water heater would be short on combustion air. My question is what else can be causing these random outages on a brand new heater? Is there any chance that the Honeywell gas control has an issue with the pilot portion of it? Thanks to all.

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hi, Any chance dust is clogging the air inlet screen? Is the combustion chamber getting too hot? 🤔

Yours, Larry
    zepfan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,715
    edited October 2022
    zepfan said:

we installed a Bradford white natural gas water heater model # RG250T6N in July. The pilot went out the first week of September. The pilot was re lit and thermopile tested. It read over 600 mv. The heater stayed online until it went out again today. The pilot was re lit and the heater is back online. The heater is vented into b vent and the cap is in place on the roof, so there is no way a downdraft could have blown the pilot out. The water heater is located in a large room that also houses the furnace, washer and dryer. The furnace is a 90% model that uses outside air to burn, so I do not think that there is any way that the water heater would be short on combustion air. My question is what else can be causing these random outages on a brand new heater? Is there any chance that the Honeywell gas control has an issue with the pilot portion of it? Thanks to all.

And you are sure of this because you witnessed this with a draft gauge in place recording the draft at the time the pilot went out?

Is there an exhaust fan, or clothes dryer, whole house fan, or has the furnace blower door or blower return vent anywhere close to or communicating with the water heater room?

Is the B-vent termination outside the home located at least 3 feet above any obstruction within 10 foot of the b vent cap?

Has a tree grown so high that there is a possibility that when the wind comes from a certain direction, that tree can act as an air scoop to create a down draft?

Those are three possibilities (exhaust vents causing negative pressure, Chimney minimum clearances, or major obstructions) just to name a few.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    zepfanGGross
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    you might be tripping out on the fvir switch which will automatically reset itself until complete failure. if its located near any cleaning chemicals it will cause that unit to shutdown. Even mopping a floor near the heater can cause it to trip. Annoying service calls because it always works after you relight it. then weeks later it fails again. I have had to change water heaters to direct vent to eliminate problem unfortunately.
    zepfan
  • zepfan
    The FVIR switch I assume is the manual reset  switch that is wired in series with the thermopile? Is it possible to have the contacts open, without having to be manually reset ? The two times the pilot has gone out, that switch did not have to be re set. Thanks to all
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,022
    @zepfan

I think he is talking about the flammable vapor sensor, a different sensor. It senses any flammable vapors nearby and shuts the unit down.

Usually looks like this

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bradford-White-415-45560-00-Flammable-Vapor-Sensor
    Larry Weingarten
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    Exactly what it is
  • zepfan
    Thanks for the responses. That is the part I was referring to as well. The one that is on this heater is a manual reset type that has never needed to be re set.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hi,, I don’t like guessing, and that’s what I’m doing now. The resettable control could be a temperature sensor, rather than a vapor sensor. Any chance your heater has both?

Yours, Larry
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    Bradford White has excellent technical support, Id just call them.