Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Antique RUUD ornate hot water heater

Greetings all.  I am a few years into a project whereby I am making an aquarium out of an antique RUUD hot water heater.  I am on a search for a few of the old factory handles that were on the sides that say “before lighting pilot please close this valve “.  Willing to pay a reasonable price for them.  Please let me know if anyone knows where some might be.  Thank you.  

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,272
    Hi @ruudaquarium , I see a couple of old Ruuds on Ebay. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=water+heater+antique+ruud&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=1&_dmd=2&rt=nc What model are you working with? And, how can one see fish in this cast iron aquarium?? :)

Yours, Larry
  • ruudaquarium
    ruudaquarium Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your response, Larry. It is a #4 I believe. I had a cylindrical tank made from acrylic which sits on top of top of the tank, and used the ornate "lid" of the original tank to make a cap for the top of the aquarium. I may ask my wonderful wife to help me post pictures as I am none too slick on how to do that on forums. I see the Ebay one, thank you. Ideally I can procure a few of these factory handles for the valves and will pay anything reasonable. I just don't know where to look, and this really seems like a great forum with some who know and appreciate these older, beautiful tanks.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    @ruudaquarium, yes please share pictures of it when it's complete.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,272
    Hi @ruudaquarium , A thought is to set up a search on Ebay for Ruud and then you'll be notified whenever something Ruud shows up. It sounds like not having the handles won't interfere with building the aquarium, so you have time to hunt for the parts. Like Erin, I'd like to see what you build!

Yours, Larry
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    "Make mine...Steam. Punk!" (If Dirty Harry were a Dead Man.)