Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best thermometer tool to test on pipes?

Hey guys, trying to test my radiator send and return pipe temps.  Just wondering if you guys can send some links to some that you think are good.  

I tried using my electronic probe thermometer from the kitchen but it takes forever for the temp to climb.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    edited September 2022
    I have used this one for over 30 years. The thermocouple can be placed on a pipe and held in place with painters tape. A small piece of pipe insulation can't hurt either.

I don't think this Fluke 52 dual is available anymore, but they make newer ones
    If you get the infrared thermometers, you will need to get some black friction tape to put on the pipe in order to get an accurate reading. Copper pipe reading will be inaccurate because of the ability to reflect the infrared signal
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    edited September 2022

Hey guys, trying to test my radiator send and return pipe temps.  Just wondering if you guys can send some links to some that you think are good.  

I tried using my electronic probe thermometer from the kitchen but it takes forever for the temp to climb.
    Kitchen thermometer is OK but you need to wrap insulation around the probe to be accurate. Now the real question... Why do you need to know this? There must be some problem you are trying to solve...

EDIT: Never mind...
    I read your other post.

@mattmia2 has a good idea below:
    https://www.amazon.com/Clip-pipe-thermometer-hot-water/dp/B00GYV0L5I
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    i use an electronic thermometer with a pip clamp probe that looks like a big clothes pin(there is also a plunger style that will accommodate a larger pipe size) but that is a bit pricey. you can buy little analog dial thermometers that clamp on with a little spring that you could buy half a dozen and leave them where you want to look at temps
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    One of my favorites
    Battery or 24VAC from a transformer

Need to insulate over any probe or thermistor.

Don't get too hung up on delta T across an emitter, it is every-changing.

We plug in a ∆ to design around, reality is that it may never operate at that ∆.

Expect to see a wider ∆ on cold start. As the ambient around the emitter comes up the ∆ will close up. A 30 ∆ on start shows you are moving a lot of heat energy into the space, and this is possible even if you designed for 20∆. The space temperature has fallen below design for example.
    When it closes to 5° not so much transfer is taking place.

Reality is one hand on supply, one on return can tell a lot.

Expect a ∆ of 0 when the heat shuts off or stops transferring :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    mattmia2
  • stupidhomeowner
    stupidhomeowner Member Posts: 20

Kitchen thermometer is OK but you need to wrap insulation around the probe to be accurate. Now the real question... Why do you need to know this? There must be some problem you are trying to solve... EDIT: Never mind... I read your other post. @mattmia2 has a good idea below: https://www.amazon.com/Clip-pipe-thermometer-hot-water/dp/B00GYV0L5I
    What kind of insulation are you using to do that?  And as far as friction tape goes, would black electrical tape work? I would put it in the pipe or my probe?