Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Overheating on the second floor, need more temperature control

Hello all. I'm looking for guidance on controlling the heat output of my radiators. I live on the top floor of a two-story house built circa 1900. All radiators in the house are controlled by one thermostat, which my downstairs neighbors leave at 68F.

Seems to be a two pipe steam system (though it barely makes any noise and I've never noticed it venting steam). In addition to the reflective paint, the radiators came with wooden covers that have a metal lattice in the front, all painted white. They are open on the back but sit fairly snug to the wall with about 1/4 inch gap. I have blocked the lattice with cardboard and draped cotton towels over them, but that only helps a little bit. My apartment averages about 80F, with unpredictable dips and spikes. Ideally I would like it to stay near 68F.

Opening windows is not a good option because I live on a very noisy street. I've tried turning the hand valves off, but they don't seem to actually close.

The ideal solution might be something like this old Kickstarter called Cozy by Radiator Labs. Unfortunately the company doesn't seem to be active as far as consumer products go.

I'd like to get a contractor out to give me a quote on installing thermostatic valves. So far the property owner hasn't responded, even though I told them I might be willing to pay for it (and they're the ones paying the heating bill!) I've read enough about radiators to know I shouldn't try installing anything myself, especially during heating season.

Is it worth buying some reflective insulation material that I could attach to the insides of the wooden covers? Any other ideas?

Comments