Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flue collector "ceramic fiber" strip replacement

Options
SteamFTW
SteamFTW Member Posts: 76
edited September 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
Before heating season starts, I really want to get a close look at our boiler sections from above. (Peerless 64-12 installed 2009). I doubt that anyone did so before we moved here. Are you supposed to replace the gasket that seals the flue collector to the top of the boiler any time the collector is removed? I've replaced them when they've come apart during removal of the collector. And I've replaced them when a leak has been detected. But I wonder if it's one of those things that is best replaced as a matter of course.

Thank you.
Fast. Cheap. Good.
Pick any two.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Do you have a picture of which type you have? Some fall apart pretty much anytime you remove them, others are fine until they get damaged/fall apart.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• SteamFTW
    edited September 2022
    Options
    It's the "blanket" material. In the past, I just made sure it wasn't creased, cut, or thinned out, and that it still had squishability. I'm curious about the alternatives that aren't a ceramic fiber.

Fast. Cheap. Good.
    Pick any two.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    You do what you have to do to keep them sealed. Kaowool rope or tape ETC available at an oil burner supply house will work. Avoid furnace cement. Use Hi temp silicone for any small gaps available at HD (near the wood stove /fireplace parts or at a supply house
    EdTheHeaterManSteamFTW
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    Options

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

SteamFTW
  • SteamFTW
    Options
    @EdTheHeaterMan I like the sound of that. Thank you!
    Fast. Cheap. Good.
    Pick any two.