Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electrolysis

Joining copper MIP to BMI fittings. I usually try to convert from copper to steel with use of a brass valve. While back I had an engineer tell me that there was not an issue joining copper to steel. I’ve never been able to find any information to back up his statement. Interested to hear what my fellow tradesmen think about this. Thanks

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,630
    What system is it in?
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,289
    Hi, I think it depends on what sort of system is being talked about. For potable water, you don’t mix copper and steel much as the steel will be forced to rust by the copper. I’m not sure what BMI is other than a fitting supplier.. (or body mass index), but it’s all about keeping dissimilar metals apart in oxygen rich water. The national association of corrosion engineers and copper development association have lots more information!
    Yours, Larry
  • MikeDurigon
    MikeDurigon Member Posts: 33
    BMI = black malleable iron. When I write up material orders everyone asks what that stands for. Tradesmen that I worked under ordered like that and it stuck with me. (Toronto,Canada) Discussion was in regards to copper to steel in an hydronic heating system. Thanks. But in your saying oxygen rich water. Would you consider then that with a hydronic system the fluids are not oxygen rich. 
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,630
    The fluid in a closed hydronic system should not be oxygen rich. Mixing steel and copper in a closed hydronic system shouldn't be a problem.
  • MikeDurigon
    MikeDurigon Member Posts: 33
    Well guys I feel like a putts. I asked this same question back in 2020. 🙄 I think it’s time to put the old boy out to retirement. The apprentices are getting tired of me repeating my stories anyways 😂