Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tripped Oil Valve and Friendly Tech

Brent H.
Brent H. Member Posts: 161
So…. Both my wife and myself are stuck at home with Covid. To top it all off, this morning my wife went to take a shower and it was luke cold. I went to the basement to check my system and the Logamatic was showing ERR so I attempted one restart. I could tell something was wrong as my flex fuel line that runs between the filter and burner was vibrating. I then checked the handle of the firomatic and discovered it had tripped and cut the fuel off. The system was serviced a week or 2 ago so wonder if they over tightened when changing the filter.

Next problem…. where to find a new handle for the firomatic. I drove to the nearby hardware store and masked up and ran in praying they might have a whole valve if nothing else but struck out. As I left the store I noticed a service van for a local oil company in the lot and a guy in his work blues walking to it. I yell out to him and asked if he might have what I need. He quickly dug through the back and found one and wouldn’t take any money for it.

The moral of the story, there are still a lot of good techs out there. (Beside the ones on this forum😀)I think we get a slanted view sometimes from reading about bad installs and service nightmares.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    You should've forced a 20 on him. I wouldn't take it either, but have helped people similarly many times with things like this.

There was a long stretch of time where it was pretty mandatory to carry a bag full of those wheels. Seems like it's straightened out for the most part.
    steve
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    I can't count how many times that's happened to me. I've had competing company guys approach me like this, as well as "future" customers.
    I have found that a little goodwill goes a long way.

Feels good.

What goes around comes around.
    @Brent H. Thanks for sharing.