Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Controversial article claims no benefit to cleaning AC condenser; What say ye?

Options
2»

Comments

• PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,162
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Wow, on a Sunday, you are a star!
    Re the western drought, who would have thought the desert would eventually run out of water.  
    I just got through washing the two outside condenser units for my house. Something positive did come out of this article!

Process would have been dead simple if goodman added a extra 6” to the fan assembly harness. As it is, you have to balance the assembly on its side while cleaning which required help from a not so enthusiastic assistant.  :D
  • joeba
    joeba Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Some think you should never use coil cleaner to clean the condenser coil unless you are willing to stand there for an hour flushing it. Their reasoning most don't do a good flush and the chemical east away at the aluminum over time.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,885
    edited September 2022
    Options
    PC7060 said:

Wow, on a Sunday, you are a star!
    Re the western drought, who would have thought the desert would eventually run out of water.  
    I just got through washing the two outside condenser units for my house. Something positive did come out of this article!

Process would have been dead simple if goodman added a extra 6” to the fan assembly harness. As it is, you have to balance the assembly on its side while cleaning which required help from a not so enthusiastic assistant:D
    That is why God made teenagers. Too bad they don't stay home as much after they pass the drivers license test. OR NOT

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

PC7060
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,067
    Options
    FWIW, I just replaced a 1/3 HP compressor on a walk in cooler box.
    Windings opened, oil cooked, thermal overload toasted.

Main contribution to cause was lack of cond coil cleaning over the years.

Also it can be more than plugged coil, the last time I looked at this system and cleaned the coil, it was short cycling on high limit.
    Current draw was 15 should have been 10.....bad run cap.
    How long that went on IDK.....it died a month later.

But had the owner cleaned the coil he would have just walked away once turning it back on,
    but this is why we get the big bucks :* ......to observe things like this.
    PC7060
  • PC7060
    edited September 2022
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

... this is why we get the big bucks :* ......to observe things like this.

"There's none so blind as those who will not see"
    Ray Stevens :D
    JUGHNE
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    PC, often for ACU cleaning, I disconnect the fan wires and remove the top completely.
    This lets me check the ODF motor bearings....and once upon a time oil bearings if possible.

This also is a good time to check crimp connections and test run caps.

Many times the cleaning is delayed so long that the entire grill wrap must be removed.
    This gets it down to the bare coil and better flushing.

The helper does not get wet then and you may not get the "stink eye" for the rest of the day. ;)
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,722
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

PC, often for ACU cleaning, I disconnect the fan wires and remove the top completely.
    This lets me check the ODF motor bearings....and once upon a time oil bearings if possible.

This also is a good time to check crimp connections and test run caps.

Many times the cleaning is delayed so long that the entire grill wrap must be removed.
    This gets it down to the bare coil and better flushing.

The helper does not get wet then and you may not get the "stink eye" for the rest of the day. ;)

You just made me think...
    I put a high temp ball bearing motor in mine. I don't think there was a way to oil that, and I'd assume they're likely packed with grease?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    IDK, but I think most motors today come with enough lube for "lifetime" operation.
    Don't know whose lifetime.

Don't see many new motors with oilers....it is hit and miss.

The old "watt motors" or unit bearing type you find on refrigerator cond units had a large felt pad around the bearing.

I have taken an awl and punched a hole in the top of the tin cup on the back and added oil.
    Still working on my 1981 GE fridge. One only wish you could buy another just like it.
    Only changed the door gaskets since new....40 years.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,722
    Options
    JUGHNE said:
    IDK, but I think most motors today come with enough lube for "lifetime" operation. Don't know whose lifetime. Don't see many new motors with oilers....it is hit and miss. The old "watt motors" or unit bearing type you find on refrigerator cond units had a large felt pad around the bearing. I have taken an awl and punched a hole in the top of the tin cup on the back and added oil. Still working on my 1981 GE fridge. One only wish you could buy another just like it. Only changed the door gaskets since new....40 years.
    A whole 40 years eh  :p
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • PC7060
    Options
    @JUGHNE - I’ll put a Molex connector in line next time I need to open up. We use Molex rated for 12-16ga regularly; very simple cut and crimp to install. 
    JUGHNE