Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Toilet Help

taylorgeo
taylorgeo Member Posts: 74
I'm looking to replace my toilet and trying to decide between "canister" and "gravity" flush.

The Kohler is canister and the American Standard is gravity.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Nsherman2006
    Nsherman2006 Member Posts: 25
    I’m new here, but if this is for a standard residential install, I would go with a traditional flush Toto Drake (or similar). It’s a classic design that just plain works
    PC7060GGross
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    Been in the trade for 30 years and I like the pressure assisted toilets. Only problem is the tanks fail from time to time. but they sure do get everything out of the bowl. They don't clean the bowl real well thou. Some gravity flush toilets have a hard time getting the real fluffy toilet paper pass the trap. Pros and cons on both sides. I tend to try and find a bowl with a high water level. Keeps the bowl cleaner. whatever you chose, go with a comfort height toilet. little bit taller bowl is great. I don't need it i just like it.
  • taylorgeo
    taylorgeo Member Posts: 74
    Oops, I thought "canister" implied pressure-assisted.

Just to clarify: should I go with a gravity-fed with a FLAPPER or CANISTER?
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    I prefer flappers. 

I used Toto Drake for many years but now use the Kohler Cimaron. Nice quality and can source from local big box. 
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,585
    PC7060 said:

I prefer flappers. 

I used Toto Drake for many years but now use the Kohler Cimaron. Nice quality and can source from local big box. 

Are all Toto Drakes the same as far as parts and performance?
    If you buy one from Homer, is it essentially the same as any other Drake?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    ChrisJ said:
    Are all Toto Drakes the same as far as parts and performance? If you buy one from Homer, is it essentially the same as any other Drake?
    Performance seems to be consistently high for Toto products as represented by the higher $. 

Having said that, I’ve seen no difference in performance between the Drake and the Kohler Cimaron units. At least not enough to pay the extra $100 or so

I can’t say I’ve ever seen a Toto toilet in my local Homer or Lowes.  Ferguson’s is the source around here 
  • ChrisJ
    PC7060 said:

ChrisJ said:

PC7060 said:

Are all Toto Drakes the same as far as parts and performance?
    If you buy one from Homer, is it essentially the same as any other Drake?

Performance seems to be consistently high for Toto products as represented by the higher $. 

Having said that, I’ve seen no difference in performance between the Drake and the Kohler Cimaron units. At least not enough to pay the extra $100 or so

I can’t say I’ve ever seen a Toto toilet in my local Homer or Lowes.  Ferguson’s is the source around here 

Homer has them on their website.
    There's also 1.6 and 1.25 gal flush Drakes.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    PC7060
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    There are different 'Drake' toilets ...... by all accounts the basic Kohler toilets now match the Toto in performance. That said I always put the slightly more expensive Drake in my rentals .... there is a Drake II now with the high performance porcelain (like the euro toilets) and lower gpf for use in ca/tx. Gets confusing because they do now sell a lower gpf Drake. The Drake II is better looking w/ advanced jet flush.

The pressure assist -- the real deal with the pressure tank. Great for problem spot --- my last house had a lower level toilet that must have had a low slope in the drain -- the pressure tank solved all the issues. Would scare the dog ... but -- ended the need for a plunger.

Kohler canister is just a new flush design ....

The euro porcelain does make a difference .... have been installing Duravit wall toilets w/ it and it does basically self clean.

Higher priced toilets are looks -- one piece are nice looking and easier to clean
  • ChrisJ
    TAG said:

There are different 'Drake' toilets ...... by all accounts the basic Kohler toilets now match the Toto in performance. That said I always put the slightly more expensive Drake in my rentals .... there is a Drake II now with the high performance porcelain (like the euro toilets) and lower gpf for use in ca/tx. Gets confusing because they do now sell a lower gpf Drake. The Drake II is better looking w/ advanced jet flush.

The pressure assist -- the real deal with the pressure tank. Great for problem spot --- my last house had a lower level toilet that must have had a low slope in the drain -- the pressure tank solved all the issues. Would scare the dog ... but -- ended the need for a plunger.

Kohler canister is just a new flush design ....

The euro porcelain does make a difference .... have been installing Duravit wall toilets w/ it and it does basically self clean.

Higher priced toilets are looks -- one piece are nice looking and easier to clean

Which is easier to source parts for, and will likely have parts available 20 years from now?
  • gyrfalcon
    gyrfalcon Member Posts: 161
    I’m not in the trades but I am a handy diy homeowner and have replaced both of my toilets in my house. I put in Eljer brand from big box stores.  Very basic tank with flapper and flush just fine. I think Eljer is part of the American Standard (plumbing - not HVAC) company.  
    Slant Fin Galaxy GG100(1986) , 2 zone hot water baseboard, T87 Honeywell thermostats. 
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 486
        I prefer the American Standard Champion 4 or Vormax. Each has a fully glazed trap way for smoother exit flow, and the outlet diameter at the horn is much larger than other similar priced toilets ........
  • ChrisJ
    MikeL_2 said:

I prefer the American Standard Champion 4 or Vormax. Each has a fully glazed trap way for smoother exit flow, and the outlet diameter at the horn is much larger than other similar priced toilets ........

The outlet diameter is much larger?
    How much larger can it be?

• TAG
    Parts are not a problem ... even with Kohler always going a different way you can always get the parts -- especially with Amazon.

The reason to go with the Toto or American Standard when buying a basic toilet -- they work.

I recently bought a 10 year old condo on the coast of SC and it has three Kohler toilets w/ the canister. I replaced the seats and the gasket on all of them just in case .... very easy no issue with parts. Non from the low end line .... one piece -- for what they cost I would have bought something else

ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    TAG said:

Parts are not a problem ... even with Kohler always going a different way you can always get the parts -- especially with Amazon.

The reason to go with the Toto or American Standard when buying a basic toilet -- they work.

I recently bought a 10 year old condo on the coast of SC and it has three Kohler toilets w/ the canister. I replaced the seats and the gasket on all of them just in case .... very easy no issue with parts. Non from the low end line .... one piece -- for what they cost I would have bought something else

Working is very important when it comes to toilet
  • gyrfalcon
    gyrfalcon Member Posts: 161
    The Eljer brand I used is also full glaze to outlet.  
    Slant Fin Galaxy GG100(1986) , 2 zone hot water baseboard, T87 Honeywell thermostats. 
  • TAG
    ChrisJ said:

TAG said:

Reading Consumer Reports -- they all seem to work now but the Drake gets the best reviews in the basic toilet category when they load the balls into it.

Not all toilets have the two settings. In wall toilets have the best flush because they can get the water up high and dump the whole tank .....
  • ChrisJ
    TAG said:

ChrisJ said:

TAG said:

Reading Consumer Reports -- they all seem to work now but the Drake gets the best reviews in the basic toilet category when they load the balls into it.

Not all toilets have the two settings. In wall toilets have the best flush because they can get the water up high and dump the whole tank .....
    I wish I could convince the wife to let me get a pressure assist toilet for the main bathroom.
    They just seem to always work better. Except the ones that explode, unless you want better demolition of the bathroom....
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 486
    ChrisJ said:
    The outlet diameter is much larger? How much larger can it be?
          The diameter is up to a 1/2" bigger......
  • TAG
    ChrisJ said:

TAG said:

ChrisJ said:

TAG said:

I wish I could convince the wife to let me get a pressure assist toilet for the main bathroom.
    They just seem to always work better. Except the ones that explode, unless you want better demolition of the bathroom....
    Yes -- they work .... but not quiet. Both that we had were loud .... loud that we would tell new people to the house. I'm an old house guy -- so odd bathroom spaces that require strange pipe layouts that don't always work as well.