Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Canister or Flapper for Gravity-fed?

Options
taylorgeo
taylorgeo Member Posts: 74
Perfromance?

What's easier to fix for a non-professional?

Parts availability?

Thanks!

Comments

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    Options
    Kohler likes to go it alone ... the canister flush. They always have and as a private company they can do what they want. Most toilets work for years and years w/o touching them. They make a one flush canister -- but, my guess was it was for the upgrade two.

It's the cheap tanks that crack and the cheap plumbing fittings and hoses that end up being more of a problem -- not the flush control.

I do old houses and have sourced parts for 50 year old Kohler and American Standard toilets ,,, actually even older when I did a midcentury modern. Kohler is not going to stop selling parts for a newer design -- there is no "better' here.

Kohler was always known for style as was the better American Standard lines -- the problem was when the water use limit changed Kohler lost it's way so to speak. They made the best low boy one piece toilets -- very stylish -- very thirsty. The early attempts Kohler made at low flow were not the best and it hurt the reputation ... that was 25 years ago at least -- but, bad news sticks. That's when the TOTO took off as they had the best flush action at the time -- not the best looking.
  • taylorgeo
    taylorgeo Member Posts: 74
    Options
    Very interesting history, thanks for posting. I'm gonna go for the Toto or American Standard. I've changed flappers before, never a canister. And the flapper seems to be a tried and true technology.