Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco circulator with added relay for Zone function ?

moots
moots Member Posts: 37
edited August 2022 in Radiant Heating
Does anyone have experience with adding a relay solution to a circulator pump turning it into a Zone pump ?

My system has eight zone pumps with no relays currently.

Someone said a little water makes it through when not in use but not a big deal ?

I cannot find a 007-ZF5-5 or -9 anywhere.

thanks!

Dave

Comments

• 8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • moots
    it's wrong
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited August 2022
    Trying to understand this
    moots said:

Does anyone have experience with adding a relay solution to a circulator pump turning it into a Zone pump ?

My system has eight zone pumps with no relays currently. What is currently operating the pumps? there must be a relay or a line voltage thermostat.

Someone (Who ?) said a little water makes it through when not in use but not a big deal ? Are we talking about Heated Water>>>making it thru to a radiator?

I cannot find a 007-ZF5-5 or -9 anywhere.

thanks!

Dave

I have added queries in italics that I don't quite understand, but that is not so important. What is more important is for you to explain what your ultimate goal is.

One example might be "I have several zone circulators operated by line voltage thermostats and i want to install smart thermostat that run on 24 volts. What is your best suggestion?"

There are so many other reasons you asked those rather vague questions. If we know your goal, then there might be a better answer than replacing perfectly good circulator pumps with circulator pumps that have built in relays

Mr. Ed

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    My system has eight zone pumps with no relays currently.

That doesn't seem possible to me except in Ed's scenario of line voltage thermostats. Are you sure that you don't have something like a Taco relay box? Take some pics of your sys and post them.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited August 2022
    I just looked at this picture from @moots previous post.

It seams that you are trying to add another circulator to the system and you want to purchase one of these.
    Every one of your pumps have a relay already built into the pump.

There is a place in each of these pumps to connect a 24 volt thermostat to operate the pump and a set of contacts to operate the boiler if the pump gets a call for heat.
    order this https://www.supplyhouse.com/Taco-007-ZF5-3IFC-007-Cast-Iron-Priority-Zoning-Circulator-w-Integral-Flow-Check-1-25-HP and you will be just fine.

It may not look the same as your older relays inside, but the functions you need are in there.

Once you get the new thermostat and the new pump installed then run the wires from the thermostat to the pump, you can come back and ask us how to connect the wires.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    mootsHomerJSmith
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited August 2022
    moots said:

it's wrong

What makes you think this?

And also did you get your new baseboard radiators installed with home runs back the the boiler room?
    How did that go?

• EdTheHeaterMan
    edited August 2022
    In answer to your original query

This combination of parts will do the same thing as the one "Zone Relay Pump" https://www.supplyhouse.com/Taco-007-F5-007-Cast-Iron-Circulator-1-25-HP-1983000-p
    https://www.amazon.com/honeywell-r845a-1030-switching-relay/s?k=honeywell+r845a+1030+switching+relay

Or you could save on a flow control valve that is needed to keep heat from going into your new zone when there is no call for heat. It has the check valve built into the pump.
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/Resideo-RA832A1066-2-Zone-120V-Switching-Relay-w-DPST-Switching
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/Taco-007-F5-7IFC-007-Cast-Iron-Circulator-with-Integral-Flow-Check-1-25-HP-3647000-p

• moots
    Sorry for not properly explaining what my issue is -

I cannot find a zone pump as Taco has serious supply chain issues and my system is all zone pumps.

In my quest to add a zone pump for a new room it seems there are several ways to turn a regular Taco pump into a zone pump. One is to get a 007 -3IFC and remove the check valve, another is to get a 007-F5-SR501-4 switching relay and wire it appropriately.

I have standard 24v thermostats that activate the pump and call the NTI boiler.

So my question was have folks implemented one of these two pumps to act as a zone pump ?

But I believe I have decided to wait a month until I can get a -F9 zone pump and keep things straightforward. This new zone as discussed previously will drive 330sq ft where I have installed 12' of 1/2 inch Fin Tube baseboard heaters. This will be adequate because its a frameover room that has a secondary space/roof above it and ambient heat from the mechanical room.

In the future I will post more specific questions !

cheers,

Dave
  • moots

moots said:

it's wrong

What makes you think this?

And also did you get your new baseboard radiators installed with home runs back the the boiler room?
    How did that go?

The E-commerce site is wrong, they do not have the pump - lol
  • In my quest to add a zone pump for a new room it seems there are several ways to turn a regular Taco pump into a zone pump. One is to get a 007 -3IFC and remove the check valve, another is to get a 007-F5-SR501-4 switching relay and wire it appropriately.
    It sounds as though you're not trying to "turn" a pump, i.e. change a pump. You're trying to add a pump, no? If you're adding a BB zone, just buy another zoned pump and pipe it without a mixing valve. And why remove the check valve if you're worried about phantom flow? And as far as I know, there's no such thing as a 007-F5-SR501-4. That is really two different products.

If I were you, I would install one master switching relay for all your pumps. I like the diagnostic lights which make troubleshooting easy.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

• moots
    Thanks Alan - yeah I cannot find a zone pump for at least a month. Taco has no inventory because of the pandemic. Yes I am adding a BB zone, would be nice to add a master switching relay to keep an eye on things. I would imagine in the mechanical world there are "smart" controllers as well that alert you to faults ?

• HomerJSmith
    edited August 2022
    I cannot find a zone pump as Taco has serious supply chain issues and my system is all zone pumps.

Supplyhouse.com in stock get by Aug 23
    Amazon.com in stock get by Aug 24-26
    Ebay.com in stock get by Aug 24-26
    Ecomfort.com in stock ships in 1-2 days

Check on Google (Taco 007-ZF5-3IFC Cast Iron Priority Zoning Circulator) they are all over the place.

moots
  • HomerJSmith
    I just looked at moot's pic that Ed posted. I do not understand the piping to the pumps. Not being the sharpest tack in the box, I just don't get it. The flow seems to be down?
    moots
  • The flow seems to be down?
    Correct.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

• Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 704
    Your local Taco factory representative can help with procurement of zone circulator.
    also, you can make any circulator a zone circulator with a switching relay, SR501 for single zone or multiple zone relays to facilitate all your zones. 
    I like the SR solution, and it’s totally your decision.
    as for supply chain global concerns, we’ve learned to adapt to use products that are available, and perhaps a better solution.
    taco Tech support 401-942-8000, can further assist with your decision going forward.
    thank you for using Taco products. 
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions