Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dead Men Tales: Old Radiator Tips

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 636
edited August 2022 in THE MAIN WALL

Old Radiator Tips

In this episode, Dan Holohan shares some tips about old radiators that he’s picked up over the years from the Dead Men.

Listen and subscribe here.

Thank you to our podcast sponsor SupplyHouse.com.

Comments

• reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 511
    Options
    Speaking of high pressure I came across this the other day and found it interesting and perhaps relevant? if not feel free to remove.. Now I'm not sure if they're implying they used the 5oz low pressure back in 1877 as the article is Circa 1910
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,525
    Options
    Love it! Thanks for sharing this one. Great insight into Birdsill Holly's district steam system.
    Retired and loving it.
    reggi
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 511
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Thanks! Wouldn't of even known about Birdsill Holly if you didn't mention him... ( and Googley)
    A Great Deadman 
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    That tip about the water systems without compression tanks anywhere could be useful today on an emergency call where the expansion tank is leaking/spraying. One could shut it down, drain 10 gallons or so out of the system, open the third floor radiators vents and like a finger letting off a straw, allow the water to drain, close the air vents and trap the air and get the people back up heat wise, until one's able to return with a new tank. When you shared that, I thought , man, that knowledge could come in really handy on those night emergencies.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

reggi
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    I have a large 2 story house that is now used as an office on the first floor only.

It was a gravity hot water system which now has a mod con boiler with exp tank.

I do not bleed all the air out of the 2nd floor rads other than the bathroom.
    This keeps from heating the bedrooms other than what passes across the bottom the the CI rads.
    Some of the valves have a small port to maintain some water flow. Some do not and would heat fully.

So most of the 2nd floor rads have an "air head" on the top.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,525
    Options
    Thanks for listening, and for taking the time to share. 
    Retired and loving it.
    reggi