Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fuel stabilizer for long term?

newtonkid88
newtonkid88 Member Posts: 102
edited August 2022 in Oil Heating
The heating oil in my 275 gallon oil tank has been sitting for over a year now as I am renovating the house. It’s about half full.

A coworker mentioned i should put fuel stabilizer in there.

Any recommendations for what kind? Thank you

Comments

• Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 586
    Unsure about stabilizer, but you might be collecting water via condensation inside the tank during thermal swings. That will sink to the bottom and start corroding from the inside. I think methyl hydrate helps with that. A better solution is to keep the tank full (less air volume available in and out as it "breathes" during thermal swings). Imho, the best solution is to keep the tank empty, tipped towards a bottom port exit and left open for any water to run out. But since you have the oil already, you cant really do that.
    30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
  • newtonkid88
    The tank is already angled toward the oil filter. So maybe I can bleed it every now and then to drain any water. 
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    When you’re ready to put the system back in use, I would disconnect the oil line, bleed out the bottom of the tank of all water. Add stabilizer and fill the tank to mix it.
    Reconnect the oil line at the tank, take the line off at the closest connection to the burner. Open the tank valve and bleed oil line until clear of any water. Reconnect line, and replace filter, strainer and nozzle. Power vacuum bleed & perform combustion test.
    I use FPPF Hot 4 in 1. Sid Harvey has a house brand. I use them often to disperse water, lower pour point, etc. But do they work? I think so.
    But let me put it this way, hopefully not to offend with my analogy. They’re like condoms. You use them but you don’t know if they work. You only know when they don’t work.
    steve
    newtonkid88
  • newtonkid88
    edited August 2022
    Thanks I just bought a couple of bottles of Fppf
  • newtonkid88
    When you’re ready to put the system back in use, I would disconnect the oil line, bleed out the bottom of the tank of all water. Add stabilizer and fill the tank to mix it. Reconnect the oil line at the tank, take the line off at the closest connection to the burner. Open the tank valve and bleed oil line until clear of any water. Reconnect line, and replace filter, strainer and nozzle. Power vacuum bleed & perform combustion test. I use FPPF Hot 4 in 1. Sid Harvey has a house brand. I use them often to disperse water, lower pour point, etc. But do they work? I think so. But let me put it this way, hopefully not to offend with my analogy. They’re like condoms. You use them but you don’t know if they work. You only know when they don’t work.

• Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 586
    Oh.. this is an indoor tank ?
    My comments about condensation probably dont apply if it's a conditioned space.

30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.