Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Transport new oil tank (2020) with 1/2 tank of oil move to nearby residence?

Options
Don10000
Don10000 Member Posts: 21
Doing an oil to natural gas conversion.
Can I get a newly installed oil tank (2020) with 1/2 tank of oil moved 20 miles to another residence? Do any companies do that?

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    You would need to disconnect, pump out the oil w/ a oil type transfer pump into 55 gallon drums.. Then repeat the process in reverse... I do not think many oil companies do this as they feel the oil in "contaminated" as soon as it goes into a customers tank.
    STEVEusaPA
  • BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 285
    Options
    My license,insurnce, equipment, plus permit. Oh sure will accept all liability for transport and install of used tank.
  • BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 285
    Options
    What I wrote above is the reason why you are on this site looking for someone to do such a job, nobody will touch it.
    No matter what the price you get you will not be happy with. Already started out with nickle and dime with a used tank and transport fuel. I should not have to expain this but that was sarcasm.
    Please no more private messages.
  • In_New_England
    In_New_England Member Posts: 130
    Options
    I'm assuming that you have computed the cost of a new tank (just the tank, not installation) and half tank of oil and that you have a quote for just disposing of the tank and oil.

That is the amount you will save by doing this. I don't know that labor is cheap and neither is insurance or time. I suppose if you did it yourself or used an unlicensed handyman and rented a truck, maybe?

I do know that if any of that oil spills it's a big todo. If more than 10 gallons spill the feds get involved.

If it were me, I'd curse the stupidity and perfidy of Russian dictators and just pay to have the tank removed and a new one installed in the new residence.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    It is done a lot around here. When we got natural gas a few years ago, there were a lot of people that had quite a bit of fuel still in the tanks. The fuel company would come out and pump it out and deliver it to whoever had bought it form the customer. The fuel company would only do it on customers they maintained, and they had a lot of filtration for their pumpout truck.
    I actually acquired at least 1000 gallons myself that way, and I never paid anyone for it. Just had to pay for the pumpout/delivery. When the people converted over, they just wanted the fuel gone, and would give it away. Good times.
    Rick
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 587
    Options
    @rick in Alaska Yes. Make it cheap enough, and a "buyer" can be found.
    I knew a guy who made a bit of money using his pickup truck box mounted diesel tank to distribute other people's leftovers. Paid for one load myself, if i recall maybe 75% discount ? It was filtered and then I added some gas line antifreeze in case there was any water.
    30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,833
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Affordable Tank Removal in Southern NJ might be able to do it for you, But you need to be in NJ. ...and he charges to remove the tank. He charges to install used and new tanks. He charges to pump oil into 55 gallon drums. He also will put the oil back into that tank. That said, when there is a problem with the oil burner operation and the service company says it is "Bad Oil" or something like that, you are stuck with paying to have that "Bad Oil" removed and maybe purchasing a new tank to solve the service call problems created by all that money you saved by using the "Bad Oil" in the first place.

But it has been done successfully in the past. If you know what you are doing!
    Ask me how I know!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    It's now waste oil. Any garage near you has a guy that will pump it out, probably pretty cheaply. Or if mechanic's shop has a waste oil heater, they may even come over & pump it out for you.
    The waste oil side of things was pretty stagnant when heating oil was in the low to mid $2's. Now it's up and people are looking for it.
    steve