Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Recommend your favorite commercial mod-con (would love to hear from a rep).

JohnNY
JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
I've got to replace these two boilers in this home's mechanical-room-turned-storage-closet. I install a lot of steam, but as far as high efficiency, hot water systems in the past ~5 years I've installed 4 Aerco boilers, 10 Viessmann, 12 Lochinvar, 12 Weil-McLain, and a handful of others. I can speak with great admiration for each of these products and all for their unique reasons. I'd like to hear from experienced installers and service personnel about their preferences.
Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
Consulting & Troubleshooting
Heating in NYC or NJ.
Classes
mattmia2

Comments

• GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,043
    edited August 2022
    What size are these Lochinvars?
  • JohnNY
    GGross said:

What size are these Lochinvars?

2 x 399
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,002
    edited August 2022
    Tempting to go with Lochinvar’s again. All the connections would be the same. Good boilers. 

Is that PVC on the vent and make-up?  I don’t think they want it on the vent anymore.  

Nice boiler room. It must be a monster of a house. 
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,043
    I am about the biggest Viessmann fan you might ever find and I think I would still put Lochinvar back in place. You would definitely have to change to Polypropylene vent if you went Viessmann.

I could likely give a myriad of reasons I like Viessmann over Lochinvar but none of those reasons are going to put the connections in the same place :)

Big Taco pumps have me more interested to be honest. What's going on at that place to use those big suckers?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,121
    They don't look that old??
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    mattmia2
  • I see the large pump (Taco?) mounted vertically. Isn't that a no-no?

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    The large Taco pump is fine mounted that way. As far as the PVC venting MA allows it on a replacement......I don't think that exception will last forever
    Alan (California Radiant) ForbesJohnNY
  • JohnNY

Is that PVC on the vent and make-up?  I don’t think they want it on the vent anymore.  

Correct and it's part of the reason we're updating the boiler room. Yeah, it's a monster alright. The house's footprint is 100' x 70' x 3 stories. These boilers provide radiant floor and stage-1 perimeter convection heating for mild days only.

@GGross I want to love Viessmann but the representation in NYC is nearly non-existent. We've had big problems in the past until I've gotten to higher level people. Then, yeah, they're a great company with fantastic products. I can't play that game in this house.

@hot_rod They're a hard 12 years old. They never stop working and they run at full fire 90% of the time. The RFH is 12 months as is the DHW. The owner lets celebrities like Jay-Z and Elton John hold parties here. A lot of these large Manhattan homes run A/C and RFH all year long to control humidity and keep the bathroom floors warm. The regular rules go out the window when money isn't a consideration.

Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 234
    KV series pumps can be mounted vertically, link is below to the IOM for KV series. Page 5 of the IOM shows that our KV series only can be mounted horizontal as long as the motor is 15HP or less. Hope this helps.

https://www.tacocomfort.com/documents/FileLibrary/KV_Vertical_In-Line_Pump_IOM_302-031_.pdf
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,121
    JohnNY said:

Correct and it's part of the reason we're updating the boiler room. Yeah, it's a monster alright. The house's footprint is 100' x 70' x 3 stories. These boilers provide radiant floor and stage-1 perimeter convection heating for mild days only.

@GGross I want to love Viessmann but the representation in NYC is nearly non-existent. We've had big problems in the past until I've gotten to higher level people. Then, yeah, they're a great company with fantastic products. I can't play that game in this house.

@hot_rod They're a hard 12 years old. They never stop working and they run at full fire 90% of the time. The RFH is 12 months as is the DHW. The owner lets celebrities like Jay-Z and Elton John hold parties here. A lot of these large Manhattan homes run A/C and RFH all year long to control humidity and keep the bathroom floors warm. The regular rules go out the window when money isn't a consideration.

Lochinvar would be my choice also. Easiest switch, and the track record of the ones they have. Check the hour meter if you go back, just for grins.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    plumbworker
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    I've used Viessmann exclusively for the past 25 years. They're well repped in Seattle and several wholesalers sell them. Spare parts are (usually) stocked and there have been minimal issues with the boilers or water tanks. That multiple temps can be obtained without having to buy other controls or mixing stations is a primary reason. The control is easy to set up and check for faults. The service from Viessmann has somewhat declined over the years as the original staff I dealt with retired or left the company. I could never understand why Viessmann didn't promote other markets, like NYC or the Hudson Valley.
  • They should move all those paper products closer to the boiler. :#

Why are there two X-Pump blocks? Separation for some reason?

• JohnNY
    edited August 2022

They should move all those paper products closer to the boiler. :#

Why are there two X-Pump blocks? Separation for some reason?

I have it in my contract to add some oil-soaked rags to the area. That oughta do it.

We're sending multiple water temperatures out to various floor surfaces. The mixing blocks give us a wood temperature and a masonry temperature and yet another block just controls the Master Bath floor temps.

The red vertical Everhot heat exchanger in the center foreground is filled with 35% glycol to provide snow melting.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    mattmia2PC7060
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,632
    @JohnNY did you build the original system?
  • JohnNY
    mattmia2 said:

@JohnNY did you build the original system?

To engineer's spec, yes. The only thing I did was to send submittals to swap out all the pumps and mixing stations for Taco products because Mr. Taco is my buddy. All were approved.

Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    SteveSanAlan (California Radiant) Forbes