Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any backflow preventer guys here?

JohnStarcher
JohnStarcher Member Posts: 10
I test a significant amount of backflow devices each year, a large percentage of which are ASSE 1020 devices located outside. I'm wondering if anyone has a good idea for a test tag; one that will hold up against the weather but also be relatively easy to update with each year's test? Last year I ordered some plastic tag sleeves from U-Line, but was disappointed to see that most of them did not survive the winter or spring rains very well. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Starch

Comments

• leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,097
    Check with Oregon laminations Co. 1800 -574-9814

They have hot and cold lamination products/pouches.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Does the tag have to be outside or can it be in the mechanical room or somewhere else, kind of like they do with elevator certs?
    steve
  • JohnStarcher

Does the tag have to be outside or can it be in the mechanical room or somewhere else, kind of like they do with elevator certs?

Typically we like to have them outside, at the device, if possible.
  • JohnStarcher
    leonz said:

Check with Oregon laminations Co. 1800 -574-9814

They have hot and cold lamination products/pouches.

Thanks! I'll check it out.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Cargo trailers, that you tow behind your truck, have a sealed tube for the license registration papers.

It is usually clamped on the frame. Have seen some made out of 1 1/2" PVC with cap and CO plug.

Might work for you.
    JohnStarcher
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 586
    Those outdoor-store document baggies for holding maps n stuff when you're canoeing seem to hold up well. The ones I have somewhere here ziplock closed and then fold over with velcro. Not sure how they hold up to very long term UV exposure though.
    30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
    JohnStarcher
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    What about having the tag printed on plastic, updating with sharpie and putting it in a plastic sleeve?
    JohnStarcher
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    edited July 2022
    We use aluminum tags with Brother pTouch exterior use rated labels, very inexpensive.  Easily printed on-site using hand held labeler. 

A stainless steel shower curtain clip work well to affix tags to structure. 

We often apply the labels directly to aluminum, stainless or painted structures. Many have been in place for 10 years. 
    JohnStarcher