Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Tool

Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
edited July 2022 in Radiant Heating
I was looking forward to finishing my career without having to purchase any more expensive tools, but that won't happen just yet as a job this week required the replacement of an old Wirsbo manifold. It seems that they don't make replacement valves for these manifolds any longer and this one was leaking from one of the outlet valves and with the way this manifold was installed, I had to re-work the 1" PEX to connect the new return manifold. If any of you are in the area and need a Milwaukee M18 expander tool, let me know. :smile:

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    Aren't there o-rings that can be replaced in those?
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited July 2022
    Perhaps, but I couldn't even remove the valve. It was pretty rusty and deteriorated at the leak point and the flats rounded out immediately.

Also, the manifold is on the second floor of a $7M house and I can't take any chances with a leak.

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588

I was looking forward to finishing my career without having to purchase any more expensive tools, but that won't happen just yet as a job this week required the replacement of an old Wirsbo manifold. It seems that they don't make replacement valves for these manifolds any longer and this one was leaking from one of the outlet valves and with the way this manifold was installed, I had to re-work the 1" PEX to connect the new return manifold. If any of you are in the area and need a Milwaukee M18 expander tool, let me know. :smile:

You could have bought a manual expander like I use.
    Those M18's are steep.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    mattmia2Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    I wouldn't want to do more than one or 2 of the 1" at a time with the manual tool but it does work if you manually rotate it.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    mattmia2 said:

I wouldn't want to do more than one or 2 of the 1" at a time with the manual tool but it does work if you manually rotate it.

I've heard rumor this guy used to do a lot of 3/4 and 1" with a manual expansion tool.

But like you said, for one or two joints, you'll manage.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,022
    This is why I keep tool rentals on hand! So the guy who does one or 2 f1960 connections a year does not need to purchase a $$$ tool, makes them more likely to purchase other things from me that they will actually use as well, and everyone comes out happier!.
    mattmia2Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Do those power heads still work? They are pretty notorious for breaking right at the base.
    I won't even ask why there is teflon tape on those compression joints :#
    Rick
  • @rick in Alaska I don't know if any of those work. Once I repair the manifold, it will be time for testing them all. A lot of them are busted.

Also, all of the knurled nuts that secure them to the manifold are loose. Maybe they did that over time?

• rick in Alaska
    Not sure if you know this or not, but you don't tighten the nuts down all the way when you install them. You tighten them down until the pointer in the indicator window is centered in the window. At least that was how I was taught.
    Rick
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,022
    @rick in Alaska @Alan (California Radiant) Forbes

Those are a PITA, not because of how they function, but the replacements

@rick in Alaska I don't know if any of those work. Once I repair the manifold, it will be time for testing them all. A lot of them are busted.

Also, all of the knurled nuts that secure them to the manifold are loose. Maybe they did that over time?

I do believe that if you are planning to replace those telestats the new ones don't come with the correct adapter. Try one of this part number before you order all the supplies, you should be able to use the current 2 or 4 wire telestats with this adapter. I usually have a little key ring with all of them so that the service guy can confirm which spacer ring to use.

A3019900 VA33 spacer ring Uponor local uponor supplier might not have these on hand, it's a pretty rare occurrence that I need them

A3023522 4-wire uponor telestat
  • rick in Alaska
    I have had horrible luck with the adapters and the new telestats. I can get like one full turn with the adapters, and almost impossible to get the telestat locked on, and keep it on. My last job I just changed out the manifold to a Rehau and went with all new telestats.
    Rick