Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Retrofit Oil Burner for Buderus G125BE

SkipLincoln
SkipLincoln Member Posts: 5
Hello - My heating system is a lined chimney vented Buderus G125/34 BE boiler fired by a Buderus Logatop BE 2.3 Low Emissions Blue Flame Oil Burner with outside air intake. Has 9635 run hours. About 15 years old.

Once the factory Buderus guys corrected the problems caused by the original installer, it has worked perfectly. However, my heating contractor has advised that I should replace the burner as it is no longer sold and support is becoming more and more limited. I know there is a Riello burner made to replace the burner, I’m just looking for the model number so I can be prepared to deal with any quotes for replacement.

My service guy said last year not to replace it until it fails and becomes unrepairable. The problem is there are so few technicians left that when my guy retires (and he is very close), I’ll be out of luck.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.
Skip

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    I would pick up a spare of each of the above, plus a few O-rings needed for the air tube seal, electrodes, and a bunch of nozzles, because yours is a very specific Danfoss .65 80° HFD. 
    A Riello BF5 can substituted but the tech will need to remove some baffles to get the correct draft. 
  • SkipLincoln
    Thank you for your response. Even if I were to obtain spares, I don’t have an analyzer or pressure gauge and if my guy retires, I’ll be out of luck.

I’m familiar with the baffles and understand that we may have to adjust for proper draft.

I guess my other question is, will I still be able to use my Logamatic 2107 with the Riello BF 5?

The boiler is too large for the house (installer did not do a heat loss study and just figured a large boiler was necessary). However, it has run properly for many years. Sometimes I think I should just bite the bullet and replace the entire system but unless the original boiler and burner have some sort of resale value, being retired pretty much rules that out.

My youngest son has 3 Riello burners (one for home and two for income property) which he is very satisfied with - this is one reason I’m considering the same for my G125BE.

If you have any other thoughts or ideas, I would appreciate hearing from you.

I apologize if I should have posted this elsewhere and many thanks for your thoughtful response.

Thanks,
    Skip
  • HVACNUT
    edited June 2022
    Install the BF5, remove the necessary baffles and it's a G115 with a Riello. 
    The BE gets dialed in crossing (X) CO2 at (Y) combustion air temperature. That's it. 
    Regardless of burner, a combustion analyzer will be needed for initial setup and annual maintenance. 
    I forget if the combustion air inlet pipe is 3" or 4" running through the boiler. Acts as a preheater. 
    I've said it before, it's a shame the BE didn't catch on in the states.
    STEVEusaPA
  • SkipLincoln
    I agree - I’ve been very pleased with this system especially after the Buderus factory guys set it up. I learned a great deal during that time and was happy with the investment.

Many thanks for your help,
    Skip
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Use specs for G115/5 
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    SkipLincoln
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Any relation to Frank “Skip”
    Lincoln of Maryland?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • SkipLincoln
    • Hi Robert, no, no relationship :) .
      Thank you for the Riello/Buderus data sheet. I am confused though as HVACNUT has suggested the BF5 but my system in chimney vented. Would that not point at the F5 or is the BF5 correct due to my outside air intake (but that makes sense too).

Thanks,
      Skip

• HVACNUT
    There's no problem using the BF with a chimney vented flue. 
    Buderus wants 0 to slightly positive over fire and -.02 draft at the breach.
    Don't forget the barometric relief on the intake. 
    SkipLincolnEdTheHeaterMan
  • SkipLincoln
    Excellent, thank you.