Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Check valve quandary

Totspur
Totspur Member Posts: 2
So I’m experiencing what I believe is ghost flow, where my baseboards were hot in 2 of my 3 heat zones when my hot water zone is the only one active. . It is a 20 year old Oil fired boiler in good shape. I had this issue first about a year ago in one zone and had a guy from a local service company come out and they replaced that zones Taco circulator pump. In looking over the system, I see that he replaced the original non IFC with an IFC version, and the B&G flow control valve above it is wide open. I’m assuming it was easier to do it this way? The IFC check valves seem easily replaceable. The other B&G valves above my other 2 circulator pumps handles are closed, and not operable by hand and seem a little cruddy. Am I best off going this route with the other two zones, or replacing the B&G valves (which do not appear to be serviceable)? Thanks for any input. Mark.

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    Having double check valves will reduce flow a little but having check valves you aren't sure are open or not could make trying to purge the air out of the system difficult. It would be better to repair the flow checks or remove them if you put an ifc in the circulator. You may be able to get the check valve for your existing circulators.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Overheating when the DHW tank is calling?  Attach some pics of the piping around the boiler

It doesn’t take much debris to hold one of those IFC checks open enough to bleed thru.

If the circulators have iso flanges that is where I would look first.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Totspur
    Totspur Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Matt. I have the Taco 007-F5 circulators. In looking at the old one that was replaced, it doesn’t appear that the flange would accept a check valve. (Maybe this wasn’t an option 20 yrs ago?) I agree that my best bet is to replace the other two circulators with the IFC versions and eliminate the flow control valves. Are the Taco check valves themselves available as replacement parts? Their site doesn’t appear to show them, but does show the other parts
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    The IFC is available as a separate part. It may take some digging in the manual to find the part number.
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 233
    @Totspur Our 007-F5 made after 2016 will accept an IFC in the discharge port, part# is 0010-025RP. Prior to 2016 you would of needed a 007 with an IFC in the part# of the circ. pump to have an IFC.