Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Trane Climate Changer approximate age help

KC_Jones
KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
Looking for a little assistance. I am on the board of the local historical society and we are looking at purchasing the the original local bank building from 1907. We did a walk through today, and there is a short turn around period for the offer so trying to do my part to get information.

So, would it be possible to get an approximate date for a
Trane Climate Changer
Type 14
Serial# 156207

My main concern isn't necessarily the age, but if parts are still available for it, in case something goes wrong shortly after purchase. All 3 units are all currently running and seem to be working well from what I could tell.

I have attached a picture of the plate that I could find for reference. The basement was dark and I wasn't allowed to pull panels or anything to dig further.

Again, not looking for great detail, just approximations are good enough so I have a talking point for tonight's meeting.

2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    edited May 2022
    Is there a date in the corner of that tag about the variable pitch sheaves? A couple pictures from further back would help a lot more. Depending on what it is, even if oem support is long gone, parts that will work may be available.

The flat head screws for the ratings plate probably bring it to before the 70's or so.
  • KC_Jones
    mattmia2 said:

Is there a date in the corner of that tag about the variable pitch sheaves? A couple pictures from further back would help a lot more. Depending on what it is, even if oem support is long gone, parts that will work may be available.

The flat head screws for the ratings plate probably bring it to before the 70's or so.

I was thnking 60's for the same reason.

I can't get more pictures, we had 45 minutes to walk the whole building, we are meeting tonight to discuss and the proposal/offer needs submitted tomorrow. It was last minute unfortunately.

Building has been for sale for ~5 years, the historical society has a donor lined up that will pay the purchase price, so we have to decide about upkeep and usage for us. We definitely want to preserve it. Apparently a couple other offers have shown up and that's why it is suddenly urgent for us. The whole thing is starting to smell a bit fishy, but we are doing what we can. There is also some internal bickering amongst the society that is just frustrating.

For the air handlers, my main concern is if something goes wrong can we have it fixed or will they need full replacement? My speculation is the major components would probably be replaceable and we shouldn't be overly concerned with a huge replacement bill any time soon, and that is with a bit of optimism.

They have steam coils for heat and some evaporator for cooling that looks newer based on all the silver tape.

2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    An air handler is just a box that you blow air through. Those older Trane's were pretty solidly built.

A sheet metal shop can make any panels or sheet metal parts. A coil company (like Heatcraft) can make any coil that will be pretty much a direct fit. Controls can be replaced. The motor is probably a standard belt drive motor.

The only Item I can see that could be an issue is the blower wheel itself.
  • KC_Jones

An air handler is just a box that you blow air through. Those older Trane's were pretty solidly built.

A sheet metal shop can make any panels or sheet metal parts. A coil company (like Heatcraft) can make any coil that will be pretty much a direct fit. Controls can be replaced. The motor is probably a standard belt drive motor.

The only Item I can see that could be an issue is the blower wheel itself.

That confirms my thoughts, and makes me feel a bit better about our discussion tonight. Money is always on my mind with this and I don't feel to bad now. I appreciate this feedback, very appreciated.

Now the steam boiler not being piped 100% to spec, but not catastrophic will be another discussion to have with the board....
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574

The motor is probably a standard belt drive motor.

Maybe a motor from the 60's will actually be what its nameplate says it is.
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 510
    KC_Jones said:
    Looking for a little assistance. I am on the board of the local historical society and we are looking at purchasing the the original local bank building from 1907. We did a walk through today, and there is a short turn around period for the offer so trying to do my part to get information. So, would it be possible to get an approximate date for a Trane Climate Changer Type 14 Serial# 156207 My main concern isn't necessarily the age, but if parts are still available for it, in case something goes wrong shortly after purchase. All 3 units are all currently running and seem to be working well from what I could tell. I have attached a picture of the plate that I could find for reference. The basement was dark and I wasn't allowed to pull panels or anything to dig further. Again, not looking for great detail, just approximations are good enough so I have a talking point for tonight's meeting.
    Good Luck !  Hope it all goes well 👍
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
  • Kevin2020
    Kevin2020 Member Posts: 5
    Your TRANE units are 60's vintage. I am facilities supervisor in a building which has 10 of these units, all different sizes, used for heating and air conditioning. The facility was built in 1967. Parts are still available from TRANE directly. I have replaced several blower bearings, one blower shaft, and one coil. The coil was the hardest to get. The belt drive motors can be obtained from any good motor supplier. For maintenance a regular greasing of the shaft bearings and, if they have fittings, the motor bearings will keep these units running for years. Mine run 24/7. Watch for any signs of worn bearings as shaft replacement is difficult and expensive. Good luck!
    mattmia2
  • KC_Jones
    @Kevin2020 Thank you for the information! If we get the building I will pass this along and give recommendations for maintenance.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40