Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

When doing a boiler replacement, do you normally swap out "other" parts too ?

21 year old conventional boiler feeding a hydronic and air handler system. Most likely moving to gas modcon this summer.
Is it prudent to also change the;
Backflow preventer
Pressure reducing valve (seems to function properly)
Pressure tank (can test it when we take the system down)
Spirovents (these 2 are quite encrusted at the spittle end)
Mixing valve (seems to be seized in place, even when unlocked)

Im hoping to just refresh all the zone valves (7 supply and 7 return) with new o-rings and a good cleaning.
30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
Currently in building maintenance.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    It will cost a lot less to replace those components when doing the boiler replacement then to come back drain the system etc etc.

There are all kinds of contractors

#1 The cut and slide......"You said you just wanted a new boiler" $$

#2 the guy who looks it over and replaces what he thinks needs to be replaced $$$$

#3 the guy that replaces everything$$$$$$

Depends on how old the old stuff is. I don't think I would consider saving a part that is libel to fail unless it was less than 5 years old. Depends on what the part is.

At 21 years old

You need a mixing valve
    2 Spiro Vents
    Expansion tanks fail regularly I would not try and save that

And the same goes for the PRV and backflow. If you want to leave them insist on a valve on the boiler side so they can easily be changed in the future
    Dave Carpentier
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    If you get a new car, do you reuse the 6 month old battery from your current car?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 849
    I'm with the guys above. We replace pretty much everything from my eyeballs to the floor. I've learned that most of my competition does not do this. As a matter of fact, many times we get called in when the 'new' system that others just installed is not performing properly. On almost every occasion they skipped the new Spirovent, purge valves, expansion tank, or my favorite - the drain valve at the lowest part of the system and now it's dripping.

Dave Carpentier
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    @ScottSecor

That's what hose caps are for. LOL :)
    bucksnortScottSecordelcrossv