Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Please help diagnose the oil burner problem

Waldemar
Waldemar Member Posts: 1
edited April 2022 in Oil Heating
Hello, I bought never used oil burner and try to start it to see it working before install it in boiler. I made video of it, all starting fine, but there is not oil mist and so no flame starting. Please  see the video https://share.icloud.com/photos/05aNlifL-j_e3PeK3XwEvJN0w

my question : what might be A problem ?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited April 2022
    Can’t view the video.
    Check all the components with a meter for proper voltages/ohms.
    Check/replace pump strainer.
    Check igniter and oil valve.
    Change nozzle.
    Check pump coupling.
    Check z dimension and end cone (depending on model of burner).
    Bleed pump, fire up, check pump with pressure and vacuum gauges.
    After all that, you’ll need to make sure you put it in properly (insertion depth), and it’s the right burner for the appliance.
    Then if it works, it will need to be set up properly with combustion equipment.
    So if it doesn’t need any parts, you only need about $1500 worth of tools plus experience to properly check and install the burner.

Or another example…”Hello mechanic? I bought a used car and it doesn’t work. What could be wrong with it?”

How much money did you save buying a used burner over buying one and having it properly installed from a competent oil company or service provider?
    steve
    MaxMercyEdTheHeaterMan
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    It needs minimum 100 psi pump pressure, and it looks like a bad nozzle. It's a straight stream. No atomization at all.
    Aero is a 1725 low speed burner. I would make certain it's ok for the application. 
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 507
    Even if you can get it running, you must match the BTU of the burner to the appliance you're installing it in and have to match the spray pattern and angle plus use the correct head for the appliance.

Getting a flame out of it is easy. Getting it to run safely, properly, and cleanly with the correct BTU to match the appliance is much more difficult. For that, you'll need to provide a lot more specific information about the burner and boiler.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,721
    edited April 2022
    Do you know where to place a pressure gauge on the pump to determine if you are getting 100 PSI minimum oil pressure? From the look of the oil stream from the nozzle, there is clearly insufficient oil pressure. You could also just make an adjustment on the pressure adjusting screw to see if increasing the pressure will start atomizing the oil.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics