Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riello locks out after 2 seconds

Davidhogg
Davidhogg Member Posts: 3
Hi everyone newbie here but competent diy er.... Have a camray3 with riello burner ran out of oil and locked out, filled up and purged ran fine, then wouldn't start, reset lockout and a small amount of smoke came from the control box (acrid smelling) ordered a new 530se fitted it, hit the reset and again a puff of smoke??? Wont reset, stripped burner, motor was quite hard to turn started to seize so I replaced with new genuine part, oil pump rotates easily also, reassembled and all rotates nicely, tried the reset with the new 530se that smoked a little and it runs the motor for two seconds and locks out, any ideas please??? , should i get another new 530se controller and try again. Many thanks David

Comments

• pell
    pell Member Posts: 22
    Unfortunately it seems like the controller was shorted out by the motor, though I haven't seen it happen. Did you check to see if the cap is OK. That could be causing a short. There as you know a lot of wires, contacts in that control area. Check your L1 and L2, there are 3 places for the wires to connect to the burner, if the middle one is used it's a smoke show according to my riello factory training.
    Davidhogg
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    There’s better ways to check a Riello burner than firing the parts cannon at it.
    You can check components and wiring without the control box installed, with a meter.
    steve
    Davidhogg
  • Davidhogg
    Thanks for the replies everyone, im in the UK, i have 250vac to the contol box, i removed the 530se, bridged 5&6 out and the motor runs as it should, I also have 55volts on the white wire when the motor runs, surely the capacitor is fine if the motor runs when I do this??? Or does this method bypass the capacitor? I have no way of testing the capacitor, its not distorted of melted (visually) im reluctant to fire another 530se controller on it and it blow again, any help is much appreciated thankyou 
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    @Davidhogg do you have a way to contact Riello (or a factory rep) in the UK and get an engineering manual or some support? Over here they have a basic checklist that guides you through voltages and ohms on every component.
    https://www.rielloburners.co.uk/contentfiles/files/RDB 535 Fault Finding Chart.pdf
    steve
    Davidhogg
  • Davidhogg
    Thankyou Steve, seems the control box needs replacing