Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Energy Kinetics mystery oil leak

Dave_129
Dave_129 Member Posts: 5
Hope someone can help with diagnosis on this mystery oil leak 

EK1 system with AFG Beckett 

Small but persistent oil leak but can’t seem to locate where it’s coming from. Checked all connections and tube angled towards chamber so no back drip 

The leak only happens with the airbox installed 
I have left the box off for a week without any leaks whatsoever.  Leaks start shortly after airbox is reinstalled. 

Can’t figure this one out 

Any ideas or help greatly appreciated

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    That is a mystery. Where do you see the oil leak? Is it on the outside of the burner housing at the bottom?
    steve
  • Dave_129
    Usually leak is seen with oil right outside the burner housing on the bottom 
  • Dave_129
    Maybe some sort of negative pressure issue with combustion air being pulled from the tube only when the box is on?? 
    EBEBRATT-Edrick in Alaska
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    How about the oil pump seal? Also make sure any fittings on the pump are tight and doped.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Is combustion air pulling from the space or is it piped to outside?

• Kickstand55
    Kickstand55 Member Posts: 109
    Is the air box insulation saturated with oil?
    Burner air tube pitched down toward the chamber?
    Is the air box up against an oil line causing the flare fitting connection to be stressed?
    Is the burner housing totally clean of oil and dust/lint?
    This in addition to other hints mentioned before.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited April 2022
    I have found difficult leaks by cleaning off as much oil as I can with a rag, then placing some talcum powder in the palm of my hand and placing it near the suspected fitting. then I blow on the powder to apply a thin coat of powder on all the surfaces near the suspected leak. In a minute or less the talcum powder will show a wet area to identify the starting point of the leak. The powder I use is Oil Odor Powder, but any talcum powder will do.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    PC7060rick in Alaska
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I do the same just with oil dry. Squeeze it in my gloved hand to get dust.
    steve
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    edited April 2022
    When doing it with automotive stuff the tendency is to spray the area with brake cleaner and wipe it off but you might not want to do that indoors. Maybe a rag with paint thinner or detergent and water in a spray bottle.

But this sounds more like a draft thing than a leak on the pressure side. Oily air will leave a trail too.
  • szwedj
    szwedj Member Posts: 66
    Hi Dave,
    While pressure inside of the air box is negative when the burner is running and combustion air is flowing through the burner, it should not cause any oil leaks to the burner. I think the first step is to determine exactly where the oil is coming from. Others have given some good ideas on where to look and some tips on how to find it. I think once you or your service technician know where it's coming from you will be able to stop it. Feel free to PM me with any questions or to have us coordinate with your heating professional.
    Joe Szwed
    Energy Kinetics