Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

They Don't Make Them Like They Used To ... Extrol Tank

Options
FredoSP
FredoSP Member Posts: 90
edited March 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
Boiler Pressure reached 30 psi last night because I had the heat cranking. 18 degrees outside with the wind chill on Long Island, NY, Grabbed the tire pressure gauge and 0psi on the expansion tank for my boiler.

Called the oil company because the tank and P & T are included in the service contract, saved me $110.00 from getting the parts myself. I looked at the old Extrol tank and this was the date code 11201293

Shift: 1
Tank Size: 12
Day of Year: 012 ( January 12)
Year: 93 (1993)

I wonder how long the new one is going to last ... They don't make them like they used to! At least we got our moneys worth out of that one.

Enjoy the pictures!

Long Island, NY

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    I had an Amtrol on my boiler when I bought the house in 1986. It finally quit in 2019
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    I might have tried putting air back in it,
    was there any water at the air valve stem ?
    known to beat dead horses
    mattmia2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    @neilc

It had water on the air side. They get kinda heavy that way
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,164
    Options
    Amtrol products of all types seem to be lower quality these days. Probably 4/5 tanks have less than 10 PSI in them brand new out of the box. It's not unusual to see a tank last less than 5 years before becoming waterlogged.  

And then there's boilermates. I see plenty of them over 20 years old and going strong. But I have seen 4 fail over the winter that were less than 10 years old. Replaced one that was under warranty, the warranty replacement tank leaked immediately and needed replacement. 
    STEVEusaPA
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Remember in the 80s when we all though the "new stuff" was all junk? Well much of the stuff is still in service...

Now here we are today saying the "new stuff" we are putting in is junk. 

Only time will tell if it will last. And by then we will replace it with "new junk"....
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    MikeAmannGGrossPC7060
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    We sold just over 500 amtrol 30 last year and processed 4 warranties, they have never denied a warranty to me. I think the new tanks are built just fine, but you should always check the charge on a new tank, no matter what brand.
    Solid_Fuel_Man