Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rinnai I060CN help

I purchased a rinnai combi boiler last year to supply heat and hot water or my new detached garage with apt above. I had a plumber install everything and have been heating things just fine for 3 months now.
Today I turned on all the valves for domestic water (apartment finally done) and nothing works. Doesn't seem to be any water entering the boiler, any advice?

Comments

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,689
    ask your plumber ?
    or
    you missed a valve somewhere, or something,
    post a general distant picture of the combi and the piping around it,
    known to beat dead horses
  • Brent212
    Brent212 Member Posts: 7

• Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    edited March 2022
    picture is a little hard to see, but it looks like the ball valves under the unit for hot and cold water are shut off, at least the cold looks like it. Definitely the cold feed is off on the vertical copper pipe just to the right of the black plastic connection below the boiler.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • neilc
    the black plastic is your well or utility feed,
    correct?
    and since you don't seem to be in touch with the plumber,
    is all their work complete, and ready for water pressure ? ( nothing will leak ? )

the first tee up after the black looks to supply your domestic, that yellow ball valve is closed, and needs to open,
    then, under the boiler, above and to the right of the gas line connection,
    looks like a smaller tee handle ball valve there is also closed, and probably the one next to it also,

post a closer picture up at the boiler bottom where all the connections are, more from the left this time,

if and when you open valves, do it slowly, and go around and listen and look for leaks,
    you will hear water flow as the valve opens, but it should quiet down and go silent when the house pressurizes.

the backflow on the heating make up line is spun upside down, that open vent in the middle should face down
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    Also, make sure the hot AND cold flushing valves under the unit are turned on to the unit and not to the flush ports. If the unit is empty of water and you start to fill it, new water flowing through it usually starts to fire the unit. The detail in your photo is hard to discern "what is what." Closer photo and different angles would help.
  • Brent212
    Sorry everyone went on vacation. So back to it today, everything is turned on, I have cold water flowing but no hot at all.
  • neilc
    can you confirm,
    the black plastic is your well or utility feed,
    your water source coming in,
    correct?

if you turn on a hot water faucet, hot water only, full hot,
    do you get any waterflow at all ?

do you have your manual for that heater?
    maybe a switch or setting needs turning on(?)
    does the heater make any noise, or the display change, when you run the domestic hot only?

valving looks correct in these pictures,
    middle picture is heating valves, yellows,
    first and last show domestic, blue and red tee handles,
  • Brent212
    Black pipe is feed from my house and I get cold water from the faucets on the cold side and no water at all from hot faucet. 
    I talked to a different plumber and he said the cold isolation valve under the unit could be upside down as it would have a check valve inside??
  • psb75
    If you cant get ANY water out of your hot-side tap at the sink then something is set up in a funky fashion or something is shut off (or plugged) that shouldn't be, thus creating NO FLOW through the Rinnai domestic water heater. You need someone who knows "what's what" on site to diagnose and fix.
  • Check the filter on the cold water inlet. It could be clogged with construction debris. It's just above the isolation valve.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Tom_133
  • neilc
    Brent212 said:

Black pipe is feed from my house and I get cold water from the faucets on the cold side and no water at all from hot faucet. 
    I talked to a different plumber and he said the cold isolation valve under the unit could be upside down as it would have a check valve inside??

I think the 2nd plumber is correct about those valves being upside down, wasn't aware there would be check in them though,
    the second giveaway is the flushing ports, they should be on the heater side of the ball valves so you can flush the heater, the way you are now you would flush the house,

if you can't get the first guy back, hire the second guy.
    may not be that hard a fix as it looks like unions and threads on the fitted valves.
  • psb75
    Yes indeed. They are upside-down.
  • Brent212
    Is rhis something I could do myself?
  • neilc
    edited March 2022
    Brent212 said:

Is rhis something I could do myself?

are you handy? and have tools?

I'm not sure but those valves look like unions top and bottom,
    shut off the domestic water from the well line, shut the boiler off,
    loosen and remove the hardware securing the lines, you'll need a little play there,
    loosen the unions and flip the 2 valves so the drain port is boiler side of the ball valve,
    expect to spill some water there,

loosen both valves together at once to get the play you need,
    make sure you don't tear any gasket that might be present in the unions(not sure if gasket or not)
    at worst you have to remove a union half, and the threaded valve under the heater,
    tighten stuff back up again, and enjoy a hot shower,
    again, look for and be careful if gaskets are present in the unions,

do you have your manual ?
    or down load on line , , ,

pipe dope or tape on any threads you open, EXCEPT for the union connections,
  • Brent212
    Perfect, thank you
  • neilc
    one thing to add,
    before you turn the boiler back on,
    open the domestic water line again and go to a faucet or tub and let that hot water line purge thru the boiler,
    then turn on the boiler , and take that shower.
  • Brent212
    All fixed, thanks for your help!!