Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Trageser Water Heater

Options
I had my 65 gallon Trageser Coper Core Water Heater installed in 1967. It served my two family house troubler free for over a half century. Recently the pilot light has been going out and the Robertshaw control mechanism won't adjust the water temperature. A plumber is coming tomorrow and I hope that he can install a replacement Robertshaw control. My fingers are crossed.

If it can't be fixed, I'll have to settle with a water heater with a 10 warranty. What a shame. They certainly don't make them today like they used to.

kcopp

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,293
    Options
    Hi, Can you post some photos of the control and burner area? Also, how hard is your water? Has the tank ever been flushed? These things could affect control performance.

Yours, Larry
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,967
    Options
    Don't toss the water heater. Might last another few decades. The old Trags were beasts. See them around Queens NY. Not often, but here and there. The company literally put themselves out of business. Built a product that rarely needs replacement. 
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    Would it be legal to retrofit it with an aquastat and millivolt valve if a water heater valve that fits it isn't available?