Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

SR502-4 Dual-Zone performance

Hello Folks!
I’m looking for some guidance on keeping my home warm during the winter. I have 2 story house, dual-zone taco relay with taco 007e circulators. The issue I keep having is with zone-1 (1st FL zone).  
I have the zone priority switched off on the relay board but don’t know if that helps or not. My 2nd floor/zone runs fine and always reaches the correct temp. However, when I run both zones or my first floor zone..the temperature never reaches the set point? I tried adjust my Honeywell T5 stats but haven’t had any luck? I disabled the schedule on both stats and set the 2nd zone 2 degrees higher than zone-1…still no luck? I noticed my zone-1 taco 007e goes into energy saving mode (solid green LED). I tried different schedules and no schedule at all but nothing seems to work when trying to get my zone-1 temp at the set point, usually 72-74 degrees for my first floor, 76 degrees for my second floor. I swapped both thermostats already to see if the issue would follow the stat but no luck with that either??? I feel like I’m missing something very obvious ….

Any ideas or thoughts about energy efficient gas furnaces?? 

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Is this a new problem? Did it ever work correctly?
    What type of emitters on each floor? What type of piping?
    What’s the supply and return temperatures for each zone?
    Was any radiation added ore removed?
    Are you sure the circulator is working?
    Air completely purged?
    steve
    HVACNUT
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    Is the red light lit on the zone panel for zone 1 when its calling for heat?
  • honeyhellHelp
    honeyhellHelp Member Posts: 4
    Is this a new problem? Did it ever work correctly? What type of emitters on each floor? What type of piping? What’s the supply and return temperatures for each zone? Was any radiation added ore removed? Are you sure the circulator is working? Air completely purged?
    It is a new problem. It was working most of the winter. No radiant added/removed since I bought it. I’m not sure about the other questions since I don’t have HVAC experience. The pipes are grey/plastic tubing that runs to each floor with baseboard heat, if that helps? both circulators show a solid amber LED, call for heat and the gas furnace runs. I tried to lower my stats CPH from 3 to 2? Don’t know if that will help or hurt?
    As for maintenance, I never had any parts cleaned or the system purged since buying the house, about 3yrs now. I’m guessing it’s time for that?? 
  • honeyhellHelp
    HVACNUT said:
    Is the red light lit on the zone panel for zone 1 when its calling for heat?
    Yes, both panel LEDs are solid red when calling for heat. I did notice the YORK furnace shows the power LED flashing green, about 5 flashes. I can’t find anything from the user manual about the green LED. They have info on the other red leds on the control board but nothing about power/green? When the furnace runs, the power led switches to solid green…I’m starting to wonder if my 2 T5s are causing the issue? Both are 2 wire and battery powered..

• Jon_blaney
    Jon_blaney Member Posts: 316
    I don't understand about the temperature. Does the system continue to run or does it turn off at some temperature below set point. If you adjust the set point, what is the difference between it and actual temperature. Was the thermostat relocated?
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,137
    York Furnace? I thought you were talking about a boiler. Is this some sort of hydro air/furnace combo? If you take the panels off the furnace it will tell you what the flashing LEDs are. Maybe take some pictures of everything and post it here to clear up some things.
    HVACNUTrick in Alaska
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506

...The pipes are grey/plastic tubing that runs to each floor with baseboard heat, if that helps...

It's possible there is an oxygen egress issue gumming up the components. If your circulators have isolation flanges, I'd have a tech come over and pull one. Then purge the entire system. And check supply/return temps.

steve
  • honeyhellHelp
    Thank you for the replies. I don’t have any hvac experience so I don’t want to make things any worse. My hunch is the air issue, maybe a system purge will help clear up circulation. The gas furnace does hit the set point and cycles fine. I’m going to leave it as-is and have a tech come out
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 996
    Where are you located?
    Try the "find a contractor" on this site first.