Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Basic Weil McLain cast iron baseboard questions

Options
eclecticmn
eclecticmn Member Posts: 121
While digging around a local salvage place for cast iron radiators I came across cast iron baseboards, apparently Weil McClain. I did not even know such things existed. They were in all lengths, most without both right and left ends. I have since seen one set come up on craigslist, then apparently sell. The local plumbing supply place rents the joining tool out.

1. Can I mix and match old and new Weil MClain sections? Are they all the same? I see the name "snug" now but am not sure if the ones in the salvage yard were snug. Maybe they had the number "9" cast in them?

2. Can cast iron baseboards be wall mounted or do they have to be on the floor? How would they be wall mounted? I am thinking ahead to future flooring changes.
Home owner near Minneapolis with cast iron radiators, one non working slant fin now ripped out, and hot water heat.

Comments

• 1887House
    1887House Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I think you can put any sections together as long as you have ends to hook up the supply & return. I'm sitting next to a 4 foot WM Snug No. 9 mounted about 3 feet off the floor. You can download an installation guide at the WM website. Looks like it was printed in 1920, but the product has not changed. Burnham also has literature, the radiators are exactly the same.
    eclecticmnheathead
  • JimP
    JimP Member Posts: 87
    Options
    Weil Mclain has two different sizes. One is about 6" tall the other about 9". Burnham may be better for hanging. Burnham even has vintage literature showing two lengths hanging on the wall, one above the other, to double the radiation output per foot.
    eclecticmn
  • eclecticmn
    eclecticmn Member Posts: 121
    Options
    JimP Why is the Burnham better for hanging? Has anyone ever hung the the WM units? Also, if a separate bleeder valve is installed on the piping, can both channels be used for flow? Is there any point to doing that? has anyone done it?
    Home owner near Minneapolis with cast iron radiators, one non working slant fin now ripped out, and hot water heat.