Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil heating question

Options
Chrise
Chrise Member Posts: 1
edited January 2022 in Oil Heating
Hi All,

Just moved into a new house which has oil central heating. There is a Honeywell thermostat in the house which I think I have worked out. The boiler is in an out house. From what I can see the heating should be on. The controls look as follows. I'm pretty sure there is some oil in the tank. I know that picture shows the heating and water as off but I did have it set to on and no joy. Does anyone know what the box with the one button on the left is. The bottom light is currently flashing red. 

Thanks

Comments

• MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 508
    edited January 2022
    Options
    On most digital thermostats, the displayed temperature would be flashing if there's a call for heat. If not flashing, you probably have a thermostat issue (is it digital)? Sometimes, disconnecting the wiring and removing the internal battery will reboot a balky digital thermo. If the temperature is flashing, the thermostat is at least calling for heat.

Go to the oil burner directly and see if there's a red light lit on the control which would indicate a safety lockout. The burner may be in lockout due to a maintenance issue or part failure. If it is in lockout, don't push the reset button more than once. A picture of the boiler's controls would be helpful.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    UK?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,844
    Options
    That device is a timer that allows (key word here) the heater to operate. If there are other problems with the heater, then you need to address those other problems. For example, if the burner motor is defective, the timer will allow the burner to power up the defective motor, but since the motor is defective it will not operate. That does not mean the timer is defective, The timer may be operating properly. The motor would need to be repaired or replaced in this example.

Does this help? Let us know.

For More specific help, can you give more information about the other parts of the heating equipment? Model number of the oil burner, the boiler and any other controls or room thermostats if any?
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics