Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Too many radiators in 1 room

Options
I have a 1 pipe steam gas boiler that is about 2 years old. I also recently had 2 main vents added to help balance the system. Some renovation work performed 3 years ago when I bought the house converted 3 rooms into 1 large kitchen/living room. This new larger kitchen/living room now has 3 radiators, the thermostat, the stove and new insulation. Unsurprisingly this room heats up quickly and stays warm so the thermostat reaches temp quickly and stays there without much need for the boiler to fire up frequently. As a result the rest of the house is much colder which is an issue for bedrooms mainly. When the boiler is firing the heat gets to the other rooms pretty well but when it doesn't have to fire a lot then there's no heat going anywhere. I've looked through posts here and am thinking I need to somehow shut down 2 radiators in the kitchen/living room. Should I get TRVs, turn the valves upside down, or install varivalves turned to slowest setting, or something else? Thanks.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    I would relocate the thermostat first. Thermostats don't get along well with kitchens and stoves you don't want to disconnect or remove radiation which will make the boiler oversized. After you try that they you could consider TRVs on 1 or 2 rads
    Hap_Hazzard
  • tmckevit
    tmckevit Member Posts: 11
    Options
    I was hoping that would not be the answer but thanks!
  • jhewings
    jhewings Member Posts: 139
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Maybe try Ventrite #1 adjustable air vent. I like them. They can adjust down to very slow or even closed which will shut the radiator off. If you go TRV I have read at this site that for 1-pipe, TRV air vents work better than TRV steam valves
    kcopp
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    I would first try turning an air vent upside down.
    If you have vents with floats inside, the float drops down and seals the air outlet.
    That rad will then not heat much at all.
    Do this when there is no pressure and still keep the inlet valve completely open.

If that works you could try a second radiator to get an idea of how little heat you might need.

luketheplumber
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options

I would relocate the thermostat first. Thermostats don't get along well with kitchens and stoves you don't want to disconnect or remove radiation which will make the boiler oversized. After you try that they you could consider TRVs on 1 or 2 rads

Another gotcha: mounting a thermostat on the wall over a TV set or large stereo receiver/amplifier. Keep away from any source of heat.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24