Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Type B question

cp1
cp1 Member Posts: 7
Seems so simple , so someone has an answer.....
Running new Amerivent from my water heater. Come up and have and elbow maybe 18 inches above the heater. Run 18 inches horizontal and want to go horizontal again. The way these elbows and pipes are, if I have the first elbow up and over, the next elbow will only go together over and up. How can I go up and horizontal and then go again horizontal with the second elbow? Hope you follow me on how these type b only go together a certain way.
Thanks

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hi, Could you put together a sketch of this? Im confused by going from horizontal to horizontal. Maybe I just need more coffee! :p

Yours, Larry
  • cp1
    The one picture is how the type b goes together and locks
    The other picture shows the way I want to put it together but can’t because of the locking tabs not letting me slide it into each other
  • Larry Weingarten
    Hi, It seems like you could rotate the adjustable ell so that it could lock onto the straight pipe and then rotate the 90 to go in the direction you want. That make sense?

Yours, Larry
  • cp1
    The picture shows one ell pointing down one pointing up. They are coupled together the only way they will go together. The left ends are locked together in both pictures, ell into straight. If I lock the right ell into the straight and rotate the sections, I get anywhere from 0 to 90 degrees from pointing away from me to straight to the right
    Wonder what I am missing? Some kind of rotating coupler they make?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    edited December 2021
    @cp1

I think what you are missing is that those are adjustable elbows. They are made up of 4 segments and they swivel at the joints between those segments as @Larry Weingarten mentioned
  • cp1
    This is what happens when I rotate the segments, on the right hand elbow when I want it to point up. The first segment is locked permanently into the straight pipe as there is only one way it can go. So rotating the other 3 gets me nowhere except some odd direction . We all know how the segments work. But since the first one has only one position it can be in , it limits the rest of the direction, that you can point the elbow
    Thanks
  • cp1
    Rotating the segments, this is as close to a 90 as it will go, since the first segment has only one position it can attach to the straight pipe
    Thanks
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,034
    Have you considered just using a listed flexible B-vent connector? Make sure you use a "draft hood connector" to go from single walled to B-vent. Make sure of your sizing. For instance, at less than 3 feet of vent rise with an input of 40 mbh, you need to use 4"- not 3" connector per the gas code charts. These charts can be a joke and don't guarantee performance but they are the law in most areas.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Hi @cp1 , The B vent should have four different positions it can lock together with, so you can rotate it by 90 degree increments. If that doesn't give you the alignment you want, I suppose the inelegant fix is to add another adjustable ell. :|

Yours, Larry
  • cp1
    Back at this project today. And finally figured out what the designers of the Amerivent had in mind. You put two pieces together all the way and then once it is past the locking tabs fully together, you can rotate the sections 360 to any position. Not an easy thing by yourself as they fit snug. Then it wouldn’t hurt to put a couple short screws in to hold them. Careful thru only the outer galvanized layer.
    Thanks for your help.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Hi @cp1, You win! :p Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.

Yours, Larry
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,719
    edited December 2021

Hi @cp1, You win! :p Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.

Yours, Larry

Larry... You are such a punster! :s
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Larry Weingarten
    Hi @EdTheHeaterMan , I have met my match o:)
    EdTheHeaterMan