Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

new boiler

bleeder
bleeder Member Posts: 30
edited November 2021 in Water Quality
I had a new oil-fired steam boiler installed last month. Its a Burnhum Megasteam. I hand fed the old boiler now I have an automatic feed and there is no blow down like the old boiler just a hose connection down by the floor. I would like to change the water a bit, once in a while and the installer said no , to leave the old water in the boiler its better for it?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    After it’s been properly skimmed, let it be.
    steve
    bleedermattmia2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Your installer has a point which is new water contains oxygen which can contribute to corrosion so you should leave it alone.

That being said a blow down once in a while or draining and flushing once a year is not an issue. When you do add water you should steam the boiler to drive out any oxygen.

bleeder
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited November 2021
    The reason for weekly blow down in your old boiler was to prevent build up of sediment in the mechanical Low Water Cut Off. the blow down valve was usually at the bottom of the LWCO. The new boiler has a probe type LWCO that does not need a float. So... read the manufacturer's instructions for the maintenance of the boiler and the LWCO (two different booklets) and you will see the maintenance is much longer intervals.

Every summer, have the recommended maintenance completed to include removing the probe and making sure it is clean at the beginning of each season. Every few years you may want to remove the pigtail loop fitting that the gauge and pressure control are attached to, to be sure they are clear, and maybe every three years or so, you may need to skim the boiler. But just keep your eye on the system occasionally, to see if it is operating differently. If not... then it ain't broke so don't fix it.

Mr. Ed
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • bleeder
    bleeder Member Posts: 30
    Thank you Ed, sounds right to me appreciate the time