Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tank and furnace

Options
harley75
harley75 Member Posts: 5
Question I installed a Roth 275 gallon tank on a thermo-pride furnace now old tank was single line is it better to have a 2 line system feed and return or single line with a tiger loop.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    harley75 said:

Question I installed a Roth 275 gallon tank on a thermo-pride furnace now old tank was single line is it better to have a 2 line system feed and return or single line with a tiger loop.

If it's gravity. single pipe. In a lift situation, go with tigerloop
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • harley75
    Options
    It feeds from the top of the tank
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,837
    Options
    Is the new tank inside or outside?

When ever the tank is located outside above ground, the weather can play havoc on the fuel. When you experience the coldest weather, you need the heat to be the most dependable. Unfontunathy, when you experience the coldest weather, the fuel is subject to several rather serious problems that can lead to oil burner failure. Condensation will develop more rapidly in an outside above ground tank as a result of the greater daily temperature change inside the tank over time, This greater amount of condensation can find its way into the fuel line and freeze causing a blockage in the fuel line resulting in no heat. Another issue is that #2 fuel can become more viscous in the cold weather changing the actual rate of flow thru the nozzle. I have even experiences times when the paraffin in the fuel oil will separate and form wax globules that can restrict fuel flow. All in All, outside above ground tanks in the colder regions is a bad idea. That does not stop professionals and consumers from making that choice.

If you do have an outside above ground tank, then a single pipe system from the tank to the burner is recommended. At the burner, install the tiger loop. I have solved many outside above ground tank issues with this device.

If your tank is in the basement or otherwise protected from the weather, then a two pipe fuel system will be less expensive than a tiger loop (in many cases) and will serve you nicely. The benefit of a 2 pipe system is the ability to purge air from the fuel line without the use of the bleeded port. Some professionals call it a self priming system.

Even with the tank indoor, if there is a significant distance from the tank to the burner, you may find a single pipe with the tiger loop atteh burner a wise choice. Of course there are those who will disagree, but one by one I have noticed on this site that they are fewer and fewer as each naysayer finds the benefit by actual experience os solving a unique problem with the device.

I hope this helps.

Mr. Ed
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    harley75
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    From Mr. and Mrs. Roth. 
    harley75
  • harley75
    Options
    All the tiger loop I seen say Beckett burners haven't seen one for thermo-pride my tank feed from the top 
  • harley75
    Options
    My tank in basement thought of putting it outside but went with a Roth tank for replacement almost had 275 gallon of oil all over my floor bottom of tank was bad. I don't.know what happen above but the tiger loop do I need the bypass plug to put in the return on the fuel pump I seen some the show a bypass plug or are.they in there from factory should be removed before the tiger loop install.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    edited November 2021
    Options
    harley75 said:
    All the tiger loop I seen say Beckett burners haven't seen one for thermo-pride my tank feed from the top 
    Tiger Loop is not burner specific. They can be installed on Riello, Suntec, Webster, Danfos fuel pumps.
    You need to supply the bypass plug.
    Shouldn't this be something for your service company to do? After the job is done, the burner needs to be tested and adjusted properly. 
  • harley75
    Options
    I didn't know that the burner had to be re- adjusted maybe I'll let them do it