Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydrostat 3250-Plus CWire terminal

Hello everyone I could really use your expert advice. I need to connect to C wire to the set up you can see in the pictures. But I cannot for the life of me locate anywhere that one would go. Does anybody have any ideas of what I can do with this set up that I have?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    edited November 2021
    To which control are your thermostat wires connected? Do they go to T & T on the Hydrolevel aquastat?

Your last picture on the bottom shows a transformer. Where do the transformer wires go? I see some zone valves do you have a zone valve relay?
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Who put the primary on sideways? Plenty of other problems? Why is the aquastat reading 78 and the boiler gauge is over 170. And your pressure is over 20 psi.
    steve
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    The last pic of the transformer is where the Common is. The terminals should be labeled R and C.
  • nyteacher78
    nyteacher78 Member Posts: 20
    Who put the primary on sideways? Plenty of other problems? Why is the aquastat reading 78 and the boiler gauge is over 170. And your pressure is over 20 psi.
    Thanks for taking a look. So the camera didn’t catch the 1on the aqua stat it actually is reading 178.
  • nyteacher78
    To which control are your thermostat wires connected? Do they go to T & T on the Hydrolevel aquastat? Your last picture on the bottom shows a transformer. Where do the transformer wires go? I see some zone valves do you have a zone valve relay?
    Hey yes so the transformer has a R and a C.

those come down and go here

And here

Then it appears all those zones, there are 4, go back to a red and white which goes here

• nyteacher78
    HVACNUT said:
    The last pic of the transformer is where the Common is. The terminals should be labeled R and C.
    This is what I’m trying to install to make my nest thermostats work
    https://storage.googleapis.com/support-kms-prod/WJrWiEaeDuoZnn7t6LNYcRa50GQKt4dECMKH

I added some new pictures. I have four zones. Not sure now given what your saying about a common wire on the transformer how I can instal the power connector. 

Thank you to all who are helping me here it is awesome 
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    OK... you have zone valves that are connected to that transformer. but the red wire is connected to C and the white wire is connected to R. This may be a problem. Electric is colorblind so it may not be a problem. As long as R from the transformer is connected to the R on the old thermostat (even if the wire is white) then the C from the transformer can be used as the common.

The problem you are having is that there are several ways to wire up those honeywell zone valves.

To better instruct you I will need to know what wire is connected to the R terminal on the thermostat. The whara the other end of that wire get connected (a yellow wire on the zone valve or to a terminal on the transformer?)
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • nyteacher78
    OK... you have zone valves that are connected to that transformer. but the red wire is connected to C and the white wire is connected to R. This may be a problem. Electric is colorblind so it may not be a problem. As long as R from the transformer is connected to the R on the old thermostat (even if the wire is white) then the C from the transformer can be used as the common. The problem you are having is that there are several ways to wire up those honeywell zone valves. To better instruct you I will need to know what wire is connected to the R terminal on the thermostat. The whara the other end of that wire get connected (a yellow wire on the zone valve or to a terminal on the transformer?)
    Ok makes sense. The red wire goes to the R terminal on thermostat and connects to a yellow wire on the zone valve. The zone valve has one yellow connected to thermostat R and a second yellow connected to the red wire that leads to the C on the transformer. The zone valve has one red wire connected to the white wire that goes to one of the T terminals in the Hydrostat  and a second red wire connected to a red wire that connects to the second T terminal…..
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited November 2021

Ok makes sense. The red wire goes to the R terminal on thermostat and connects to a yellow wire on the zone valve. The zone valve has one yellow connected to thermostat R and a second yellow connected to the red wire that leads to the C on the transformer. The zone valve has one red wire connected to the white wire that goes to one of the T terminals in the Hydrostat  and a second red wire connected to a red wire that connects to the second T terminal…..

The red wires from the zone valves are fine, they are not part of the problem.

The yellow wires are the problem, R from the thermostat can not go to a yellow wire on the zone valve. this will work as long as you do not need to use a common on the thermostat. Now that you need a common on the thermostat. The R from the transformer MUST go to R on the thermostat.

You will need to rewire ALL the zones the same way. Even the ones that do not have a new thermostat. All R terminals on All thermostats must be connected to R on the transformer. You may need a Pro.

OR

It can be as simple as swapping the R and W terminals on each thermostat. If you feel comfortable with that

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • nyteacher78
    FORGET THIS POST. YOU ANSWERED MY QUERY WHILE I WAS TYPING THIS to make it easy to tell us where each wire goes, look at this diagram and then see if it matches what you have. It should. I have labeled the Red wires from the zone valves and the Red and White wire that connect them to the Hydrolevel control. Now all you need to do is tell us what color wire is connected under the orange wire nuts in the diagram. The Yellow wires from the Zone valves are already indicated. just tell us what color wire is A,B,D,E,F and G and which terminal is X and Z (for example X=C and Z=R or the other way around) If the thermostat R and W terminals are backwards then there will be a problem and you may need a pro to come and rewire the entire zone valve system, unless you can (feel comfortable) with starting from scratch and do this. Once you get to this, then the Nest Thermostat is easy to install.
    Ok I was just about to write back here is what I have identified, not sure if this changes anything. If not, it sounds like simply swapping the R and W terminals is the easiest solution. 

A=Yellow
    B= White
    D= Yellow
    E =White
    F = White
    G=Red

x=R
    z=c

• EdTheHeaterMan
    This looks like the easiest fix. Swap the R and W on all the thermostats Then wire the Nest Thermostat directly. no need for the power connector. You can then wire the C ofthe thermostat to the C on the transformer.

• nyteacher78
    edited November 2021
    This looks like the easiest fix. Swap the R and W on all the thermostats Then wire the Nest Thermostat directly. no need for the power connector. You can then wire the C ofthe thermostat to the C on the transformer.

Thank you! the issue that I have is the wire to the thermostat is only red and white…
  • nyteacher78

Thank you! 
    the issue that I have is the wire to the thermostat is only red and white…
    Good morning, thank you for all the assistance yesterday. I just want to clarify, if I switch the R and W at the thermostats, do I have to run a C wire from the thermostat to the transformer? I was hoping to avoid doing that. But if that is my only option I’ll give it a shot.

thank you

• nyteacher78
    Hello! Is the solution then for me to get the Nest working for my to run a C wire to the transformer? I can attempt to give that a shot. Would it be easier to try to set up the nest power connector?

thanks!!
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    By George, I think you've got it. But you forgot a wire nut.
  • nyteacher78
    HVACNUT said:
    By George, I think you've got it. But you forgot a wire nut.
    dang 😂 
  • nyteacher78
    Hey everyone, just circling back. Is my only option to run a wire from my thermostat to the transformer for the c wire?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited November 2021
    EDIT SEE BELOW: I am not familiar with the Nest Power Connector. That came out after I retired. Does the Nest Power Connector get mounted near the boiler then provide power to the nest thermostat with the existing 2 wire for heating only (or 4 Wires for cooling and fan) so you don't need to run a new wire to the thermostat?

I was saying that you don't need the Power connector assuming you had sufficient conductors or were going to run another wire with sufficient conductors to accommodate the common conductor to the thermostat.

If the Power connector will provide the needed power to the thermostat with the existing wires, then you can still use my wiring fix on your existing zone valve/thermostat design. then you will have the common needed to the Nest Power Connector. I will do more research in order to answer your query.

Mr. Ed

After reviewing the info on the Google Nest Power Connector, it appears that you will not need to add the C wire to the thermostat. Here is your diagram:

I hope @HVACNUT agrees
  • nyteacher78
    EDIT SEE BELOW: I am not familiar with the Nest Power Connector. That came out after I retired. Does the Nest Power Connector get mounted near the boiler then provide power to the nest thermostat with the existing 2 wire for heating only (or 4 Wires for cooling and fan) so you don't need to run a new wire to the thermostat? I was saying that you don't need the Power connector assuming you had sufficient conductors or were going to run another wire with sufficient conductors to accommodate the common conductor to the thermostat. If the Power connector will provide the needed power to the thermostat with the existing wires, then you can still use my wiring fix on your existing zone valve/thermostat design. then you will have the common needed to the Nest Power Connector. I will do more research in order to answer your query. Mr. Ed After reviewing the info on the Google Nest Power Connector, it appears that you will not need to add the C wire to the thermostat. Here is your diagram: I hope @HVACNUT agrees

This worked!! Thank you so much for your patience and expertise. It was greatly appreciated.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Ed that's more redacting then the Pentagon.
    steve
    EdTheHeaterMan